• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Have you been paying attention to the last decade of Men's Basketball?

My intention is not to debate the last 10 years of basketball. I know it’s atrocious. Only thing we can do is to hope for the best in the future.

Hi Ron. Nice to have you posting on the boards, I guess. Chris a nickname or something?

Okay then. Yes, I have been paying attention to the last 10 years of basketball. I cannot say that it has been as enjoyable as the Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan/Randolph Childress, and Chris Paul years. Unfortunately, that’s what happens when we over a cliff like we did right before Jeff [Redacted] came in. Years of rebuilding. That’s all this past decade has been unfortunately, which is definitely far too long. It’s starting to become apparent that Danny Manning is not quite the right fit for trying to build and maintain a strong team from scratch in the competitive ACC. It’s something I believe the AD might have to address at the end of the season.

That’s my observations from paying attention over past 10 years.

Okay then. Yes, I have been paying attention to the last 10 years of basketball. I cannot say that it has been as enjoyable as the Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan/Randolph Childress, and Chris Paul years. Unfortunately, that’s what happens when we over a cliff like we did right before Jeff [Redacted] came in. Years of rebuilding. That’s all this past decade has been unfortunately, which is definitely far too long. It’s starting to become apparent that Danny Manning is not quite the right fit for trying to build and maintain a strong team from scratch in the competitive ACC. It’s something I believe the AD might have to address at the end of the season.

That’s my observations from paying attention over past 10 years.

I'm out, these comments are not even a good parody

Actually, not supporting the team is exactly how we make change happen. An empty Joel speaks louder than any commentary given to the Deacon Club.

Well, the kids on the court definitely notice the empty Joel, I suppose. Not sure how much that helps out with our basketball program.

Wellman deserves every bit of blame he’s gotten for the dumpster fire of a basketball program we have now. He fired a coach that won twice as many games as he lost to hire a complete dud and everybody knew he was going to be a dud before he even coached his first game. Even those in favor of firing Dino at the time would’ve never been in favor of firing him to hire Bzzzz. At least Manning had shown a splash of success before he was hired, but after Bzzz we needed somebody that had more than a splash. Top it all off with Wellman signing Manning to an extension, after what was not even that good of a season where we barely made the NCAA tournament and finished 10th in the ACC, so punitive to Wake that Manning couldn’t even be fired after last season. This season sets up to be one of our worst ever as a program and will do nothing but make it even harder to get a good coach and good recruits.

The one person I really hate it for is Brandon Childress, he hasn’t even had a chance to have a good career here following is his Dad’s footsteps. Great kid too, seen him at every home football game this year, smiling talking to everybody that approaches. I hope he at least has a good senior season individually, although it will probably be frustrating being asked to do more than he really should be given his ability because the talent around him is so subpar for this level.

What is this basketball sport you speak of.......:tard:

Well some of the negative attitudes of the past nine years are looking like they’re carrying over to the next game. It’s like an endless cycle every year lately.

Who is talking about the next game?

"Years of rebuilding."

There has been no rebuilding. There have been nine successive seasons of Ron Wellman doing his best to destroy a basketball program. He succeeded in year one and maintained his mission for eight more years. His parting gift was a contract to the basketball coach for six years and $18,000,000 without a buyout to ensure his legacy. Make no mistake, that is his legacy.

Last edited:
Well, just maybe, if some people hadn’t created such a spectacle with Coach [Redacted], then we may have been in a better position a year or so later in getting a better coach. Lessons learned from that. If Manning doesn’t turn things around by the end of the next season, I imagine we’ll move on and can hopefully get an up and coming younger coach.

Until then, we just have to support the kids on the team.
Ron Wellman, is that you?

Wellman deserves every bit of blame he’s gotten for the dumpster fire of a basketball program we have now. He fired a coach that won twice as many games as he lost to hire a complete dud and everybody knew he was going to be a dud before he even coached his first game. Even those in favor of firing Dino at the time would’ve never been in favor of firing him to hire Bzzzz. At least Manning had shown a splash of success before he was hired, but after Bzzz we needed somebody that had more than a splash. Top it all off with Wellman signing Manning to an extension, after what was not even that good of a season where we barely made the NCAA tournament and finished 10th in the ACC, so punitive to Wake that Manning couldn’t even be fired after last season. This season sets up to be one of our worst ever as a program and will do nothing but make it even harder to get a good coach and good recruits.

The one person I really hate it for is Brandon Childress, he hasn’t even had a chance to have a good career here following is his Dad’s footsteps. Great kid too, seen him at every home football game this year, smiling talking to everybody that approaches. I hope he at least has a good senior season individually, although it will probably be frustrating being asked to do more than he really should be given his ability because the talent around him is so subpar for this level.

He had to fire Dino at the time. No choice.

I don’t disagree with anything you said in the 2nd paragraph. It’s got to be very frustrating for Brandon. Doesn’t help that his dad is one of the greatest Deacs ever, and is right there on the bench.

There has been no rebuilding. There have been nine successive seasons of Ron Wellman doing his best to destroy a basketball program. He succeeded in year one and maintained his mission for eight more years. His parting gift was a contract to the basketball coach for six years and $18,000,000 without a buyout to ensure his legacy. Make no mistake, that is his legacy.

So you’re saying you don’t like the new facilities?

Back