• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

I've just always found that argument to be silly. If you don't recognize any attractive males, how the hell do you evaluate your own personal appearance? Just pure narcissism?

Julianne Hough is one lucky lady.

brooks-laich-leafs.jpg

I remember taking my daughter to view the campus of FSU and passing a bar outside of the front gate...the girls were all dressed up in progressively shorter and tighter dresses with heels, hair and make up just so (future women vying for the Bachelor look). The guys in line had t-shirts, shorts that didn't fit properly, hair that had never even been touched by a comb - I had to wonder why these guys left the comfort of their bean bag chairs and video games to go out to a bar. I doubt the guys on the inside looked much different. So, maybe there is a new definition of presentable these days, but if that is today's idea of evaluating personal appearance... but no doubt it worked for some of them (and again, I confess a certain level of jealousy )

I've just always found that argument to be silly. If you don't recognize any attractive males, how the hell do you evaluate your own personal appearance? Just pure narcissism?

"Evaluate your own personal appearance"? Why would any man do that?
Fucking millennials.

To make yourself presentable, like for work?

I think most men, especially men late 30s and above, don't really "evaluate their personal experience." They dress how they're supposed to dress (casual, business wear, formal, etc) and dress how women in their lives think they should dress.

Junebug is right. Men taking more than a superficial interest in fashion and how their peers dress really started with Millennials.

Nah it started around the time of Queer Eye in 03 which led to the rise of the term metrosexual. That ain't Millennials.

Nah it started around the time of Queer Eye in 03 which led to the rise of the term metrosexual. That ain't Millennials.

So 14 years ago when the oldest Millennials teenagers and transitioning into adulthood.

Yeah. Millennials are the first generation of men to evaluate their own fashion.

Or older men were. The ones who had money to buy the stuff. Not those in high school.

Guys will look at the individual parts of their appearance much more than the whole package. That is, they will check if their tie is straight, is my hair combed, did I leave toothpaste on by cheek, etc. They don't really look to see if they can move up from a "4" to a "5" or "6" by doing a lot of primping.

Here's an article from the early 2000s. Note: no millennials quoted

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2003/06/22/style/metrosexuals-come-out.html

There's always been a small segment of straight men who cared about their looks. I'm not denying that. But you can't look at Gen Xers and say "Man, those dudes know how to dress." On the flip side, most millennials I know beyond just seeing them in class are very stylish dressers. David Stern had to make a dress code for Gen X NBA players. Millennial NBA players are fashion icons.

I think the metrosexual trend that started as teen millennials started dressing themselves changed expectations for how men are supposed to dress.

So 14 years ago when the oldest Millennials teenagers and transitioning into adulthood.

Yeah. Millennials are the first generation of men to evaluate their own fashion.
Are you serious? What the hell do you think men were doing with perms, jehri curls, bell bottoms, platform shoes, glam makeup, mustache wax, hippie pony tails?

Is it really too much to ask to go pee without some metrosexual preening himself in the bathroom mirror? Time for HB3.

Back