• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

He’s Everywhere - And Home (John Currie)

I pushed it privately and publicly for decades. Sorry you are just paying attention.

Back to Currie. Guy understands Twitter and uses it to our benefit. Guy understand the secondary ticket market and also uses it to make us money. Currie is the modern AD we’ve needed for so long.
Serious question - how does Currie/Wake use the secondary ticket market to make money?

Serious question - how does Currie/Wake use the secondary ticket market to make money?

I was going to ask the exact same question. I've sold a couple of games this season on StubHub and have NO idea how Currie would be involved in that.

StubHub has some kind of deal with WFU that makes them the official secondary market ticket source for Wake athletics. I assume there is a significant financial component.

What does that mean? You can still get tickets from SeatGeek, right?

StubHub has some kind of deal with WFU that makes them the official secondary market ticket source for Wake athletics. I assume there is a significant financial component.

I'm not doubting what you're saying but I do not understand the financial incentive for StubHub to pay Wake Forest a dime. Is there a technology component that Wake assists with such as barcoding their tickets? There has to be some component there. Not sure what that is.

I'm not doubting what you're saying but I do not understand the financial incentive for StubHub to pay Wake Forest a dime. Is there a technology component that Wake assists with such as barcoding their tickets? There has to be some component there. Not sure what that is.
It might have to do with how the tickets transfer. I typically sell on Vivid Seats and if something sells then I have to actually send it to the person which is a bit obnoxious. It could be that you can upload the ticket to them directly or something and it cuts out an extra step.

It might have to do with how the tickets transfer. I typically sell on Vivid Seats and if something sells then I have to actually send it to the person which is a bit obnoxious. It could be that you can upload the ticket to them directly or something and it cuts out an extra step.

Yeah, that's my guess. We somehow must help facilitate to reduce their cost or improve customer experience. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason StubHub would pay Wake Forest a dime.

I bought Wake tickets on Stubhub for our game at Clemson a few years ago and I get official Clemson AD emails occasionally now. I’ve bought Wake home games on SH as well but I assume the emails I get from Wake I was already subscribed to.

I bought Wake tickets on Stubhub for our game at Clemson a few years ago and I get official Clemson AD emails occasionally now. I’ve bought Wake home games on SH as well but I assume the emails I get from Wake I was already subscribed to.
Ugh same. I get emails from Clemson, BC, and State all the time and can’t figure out how to get off the list.

Yeah, that's my guess. We somehow must help facilitate to reduce their cost or improve customer experience. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason StubHub would pay Wake Forest a dime.
There are many reasons why Stubhub would be financially incentivized to pay Wake Forest (and other schools) for that kind of arrangement. Access to the customer's data, a prominent place on Wake's official website touting Stubhub as the "official" secondary ticket market for Wake athletic tickets, providing bar code technology on the tickets for easier transfer (this is part of the Paciolan/Stubhub working relationship) are just a few examples.

There are many reasons why Stubhub would be financially incentivized to pay Wake Forest (and other schools) for that kind of arrangement. Access to the customer's data, a prominent place on Wake's official website touting Stubhub as the "official" secondary ticket market for Wake athletic tickets, providing bar code technology on the tickets for easier transfer (this is part of the Paciolan/Stubhub working relationship) are just a few examples.

None of this provides a concrete reason(s) StubHub would pay Wake Forest. My "guess" is they're doing something complicit with bar coding to help with ticket transfer.

None of this provides a concrete reason(s) StubHub would pay Wake Forest. My "guess" is they're doing something complicit with bar coding to help with ticket transfer.
It's basically a marketing/sponsorship agreement. Why would Stubhub expect to get all those benefits for free? Wake provides a link on their website touting Stubhub as their "official secondary ticketing sponsor", Wake fan clicks on the link, lists some tickets for sale (or buys tickets for a game), Stubhub provides a percentage of that sale directly back to Wake Forest.

It's basically a marketing/sponsorship agreement. Why would Stubhub expect to get all those benefits for free? Wake provides a link on their website touting Stubhub as their "official secondary ticketing sponsor", Wake fan clicks on the link, lists some tickets for sale (or buys tickets for a game), Stubhub provides a percentage of that sale directly back to Wake Forest.

What are "all those benefits"? The tickets are on the open market for someone to purchase. Other than Wake facilitating the sale, I see few other benefits.

You don't think having this page prominently displayed on godeacs.com is worth a significant financial contribution to the athletic department?

You don't think having this page prominently displayed on godeacs.com is worth a significant financial contribution to the athletic department?

I surrender. Tired and going to bed. My point, which I'll make for one LAST time is that I see little benefit to StubHub. They will sell the tickets regardless of us putting up some banner.

I'll wager over half of these tickets are going to opposing fans. They're not sourcing their ticket hunt through Wake Forest. They simply go to StubHub.com.

I'm not arguing with YOU. My point is I don't understand the business model or incentive when these tickets can easily be acquired through a very well-known site.

Marketing means money of course. The data capture alone is huge.

Most importantly, though, Wake has now raised/lower its face values on tickets to largely match the third party market. This drives companies like mine into other schools who are behind the times. Instead, the money going to brokers now goes into the school’s coffers.

What I have not yet caught Wake doing, which other schools like Duke, UNC Kansas, Kentucky have done and that is list tickets directly on the channels. In other words, hold back a few hundred primo seats and shoot them up on StubHub in spots where the market has spiked and literally pocket the higher end price.

I surrender. Tired and going to bed. My point, which I'll make for one LAST time is that I see little benefit to StubHub. They will sell the tickets regardless of us putting up some banner.

I'll wager over half of these tickets are going to opposing fans. They're not sourcing their ticket hunt through Wake Forest. They simply go to StubHub.com.

I'm not arguing with YOU. My point is I don't understand the business model or incentive when these tickets can easily be acquired through a very well-known site.

You don't understand marketing and advertising? Don't be so obtuse. This isn't difficult to comprehend. They get prominent placement on our website. I'll wager they think that's worth something - and thus they pay us for that privilege.

Back