• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Headed to NYC in December - suggestions?

Better to take the subway to Queens for Korean food. K-town is a little overrated. If you're in the Easy Village area, go to Sugar Sweet Sunshine and try the cupcakes and pudding. Are you more interested in local stuff, like good diners, or fancier places to go out?

Agreed, but in that area it's the best I've had.

If you're in mid town to see a Show try to get reservations at La Masseria on 48th and 6th. As good Italian food with great atmosphere as you'll find in the City.

Going to Newark and Queens might be a bit out of the way if you're trying to stay on the island. If not, then all of those spots mentioned are rock solid. I can give you some Brooklyn recommendations if you'd like.

My favorite Italian spot in Manhattan: Pesce Pasta in the West Village. Delicious, affordable, and great atmosphere. Blind Tiger is a great bar around there if you like beer and there is always some great off-Broadway Theater at Barrow Street Theater and films at IFC Center (depending on when you go, there is always something great on weekends at midnight).

Indian food: Lexington Ave between 28th and 26th streets is as good as it gets. Avoid Curry in a Hurry, but the other spots are great. Nirvana may be the best of the bunch.

Pizza - Certainly up for debate, but arguably the thing that NYC does best. My top-3 are in Brooklyn (Di Fara in Midwood, Lucali in Carroll Garden, and Totonno's in Coney Island), but John's (West Village) and Patsy's (East Harlem) are pretty great. Avoid Grimaldis and Lombardi's. Those places are tourist traps. Also, if you're a fan of Louie, then check out Ben's (also in the West Village).

My favorite concentration of restaurants, if it wasn't obvious already, are clustered west of 6th Avenue below 14th street and above Houston. Some of the spots are expensive (Po, Market Table, etc.), but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Another thing I haven't seen on here are Delis. Carnegie and Katz's are "experiences" - really expensive, but good enough, especially if you're not in NY that often, but Mile End in Downtown Brooklyn is, by far, my favorite.

Anyway, I love talking (and arguing) about food in NYC. It's the thing I probably miss most about the city, so let me know how far you're willing to go and what kind of food you're into and I can definitely give you some recs.

The one thing that I can recommend off-the-grid in terms of tourist things to do yourself a favor and walk over the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset. Some others, especially if you're not in NYC often - the High Line and a ride on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty up close (the best part is that it's free).

Will second the High Line and Brooklyn Bridge. The former is a new and fantastic addition to Chelsea/Meatpacking district. The latter is just an amazing American landmark. It never gets old. Beautiful.

The one thing that I can recommend off-the-grid in terms of tourist things to do yourself a favor and walk over the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset. Some others, especially if you're not in NYC often - the High Line and a ride on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty up close (the best part is that it's free).

Meaning, take the subway to Brooklyn (Borough Hall) and walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. This is also the 1 tip I give everyone that visits.

It depends on the order in which you want to do things. If you want to make an evening out of it, then I'd recommend walking across at sunset, being sure to walk through Borough Hall (assuming they still light up the courthouses at night) and the "traditionally Brooklyn" storefronts on Court Street to one of the many top-notch Italian spots on Court (i.e. Lucali for pizza and Brucie for everything else) or one of the newer, trendier spots on Smith. Then, you have your shot of bars, from Henry Public (classy as hell, with amazing cocktails, but a bit expensive) or 61 Public on Bergen to more hipster-oriented vibe of Camp on Smith...

If you want to stay in Manhattan, then it's actually easier to just the A/C to High Street or the 2/3 to Clark, walk around historic Brooklyn Heights for a bit (be sure to stop by the Moonstruck house) and just walk back. Borough Hall is a bit far away and you have to cross a few precarious intersections.

Man, I miss Brooklyn/NYC...

Have any of you heard of / stayed at The Distrikt Hotel (http://www.distrikthotel.com/)? We're looking at that one. Having a little trouble figuring out what neighborhood to stay in to facilitate easy travel around the city. Plus, its tough to figure out whether a hotel we're looking at is a dump or nice, just based on websites. Advice?

Expect normal hotel rooms in NYC to be smaller and older than what you are used to other places.

You are about six long blocks from the Times Square subway station. From there you can get anywhere.

You are about 8-10 blocks from Penn Station/MSG.

Broadway is mostly a little north and east of you.

Go ice skating at Rockefeller Center.

Since you'l be there in December, there's often good stuff falling off trucks and being sold in Chinatown and Little Italy. A few years ago I got a whole bunch of 100% cashmere scarves for $5-10 each.

Last edited:
Back 40 is so good. Went to Back 40 West, McNallys bookstore, the Highline, Chelsea Market, Chelsea Flower Market, and then back to Brooklyn on Saturday. I have many, many Park Slope recs if you do venture to Brooklyn.

Back