• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hedlund replaces Newman

VaDeac

Reaction score
Per BSD.

I wish I were confident that this would actually be an improvement, as bad as Jimmy has been. Hedlund's pat was pretty ugly yesterday.

Also hope Jimmy continues with kickoffs. He's been pretty good there.

Yall tweeted it first, so you get the credit.

Haha, I was just talking about this to my roommate. At BSD we get a lot of information from a lot of different sources (always crediting it unless told not to). It makes me think that if people did a better job or promoting on social media then fans would have so much more information.

That's why we enjoy bringing it all together in one place at BSD for Wake fans.

Good move. Newman has been awful.

Not sure what you mean. Jimmy Newman was the 10th ranked kicker in 2009 and Chad Hedlund was the 14th best kicker in 2011. Those are pretty good.

People also forget how good Jimmy was for us for a year and a half. Having bad confidence problems now.

The guy can't make a kick. That's what I mean. And his backup doesn't look much better.

I don't really understand your point.

I want them to make kicks too, but what do you want to change? Find better kickers? They are rated 10th and 14th in their respective classes. That's pretty good.

Jimmy Newman proved he can excel at the collegiate level as well. It's just something he's going through. Does it suck? Yes, but to say "where do we find these stiff kickers" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Wake fans have been spoiled tremendously by the success of Swank and Newman over the past 5 years.

I'm pretty sure that Newman is the best kicker in Wake history percentage-wise as well.

How is he doing this year? How is he doing in fourth quarter situations?

I don't really understand your point.

I want them to make kicks too, but what do you want to change? Find better kickers? They are rated 10th and 14th in their respective classes. That's pretty good.

Jimmy Newman proved he can excel at the collegiate level as well. It's just something he's going through. Does it suck? Yes, but to say "where do we find these stiff kickers" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Wake fans have been spoiled tremendously by the success of Swank and Newman over the past 5 years.

I'm pretty sure that Newman is the best kicker in Wake history percentage-wise as well.

My point, again, is the guy can't make a clutch kick the past several games dating back to last year. What do I want to change? Easy - make the kicks inside 45 yards. That's why he's on scholly. I agree with the first part of the last bolded statement.

How is he doing this year? How is he doing in fourth quarter situations?

He's been pretty bad this year. Clearly suffering from confidence issues and lack of efforts (before Saturday).

I'm not saying that he has been good, or even respectable this year, I just don't know what you mean by calling them "stiff kickers". He's going through a phase where he has missed 6 of his last 10 kicks.

He actually made 3/4 kicks vs. Syracuse, his miss is just what I (we) remember. I don't think his 4th Q stats are that bad. We just remember the big ones and the most recent kicks are fresh on our minds.

My point, again, is the guy can't make a clutch kick the past several games dating back to last year. What do I want to change? Easy - make the kicks inside 45 yards. That's why he's on scholly. I agree with the first part of the last bolded statement.

Everybody wants him to make the kicks. I'm not sure if Hedlund can do better, that's why we are going to find out. Theoretically they both should be pretty solid based on their recruiting rankings.

No one cares. This team is leaking oil. Big time.

Changing tires won't win the race.

Laughable to even mention these two in the same sentence.

In what sense? Newman is 40/52 in his career (77%) and Swank finished 71/93 (76.3%). Swank went 11-17 in his senior season. We relied a lot more on Swank from longer distances than we do/have on Newman and Swank was certainly a more valuable asset to the team than Newman has proven to be, but I strongly disagree that it's "laughable" to discuss the two in the same realm.

Feel for Newman. Hope he gets his confidence back or works out whatever he's going through. He was a pretty good kicker- he can be again.

Back