• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hedlund replaces Newman

Since we dont employ a devoted special teams coach, does it allow us another coach at a different position that others typically dont have? I'm trying to come up with a reason our system is better overall but am coming up with nothing.

Yes, that's the idea. I think you get something like 9 coaches, however you want to use them.

ALthough I don't know if we take advantage of that. One year we had a DE coach and a DT coach. I didn't understand it, but I don't claim to know a lot about defense. Just seemed silly when DEs and DTs are generally doing the same thing..

Solid performance by Hedlund today, his points won the game for us. His performance today solidified his starting role on this team.
I will say I hope his time at Wake starts as well as it ends. Our last two have been statistically tops in the nation for a period of time and both talented enough for the next level. Injuries due to over-kicking and lack of attention to the details in the kicking game really hurt them their senior year and before and I really hope things end up a lot better for this kid because I feel really bad for the last two.

Hedlund came through today. After the extra point against Maryland and the the extra point he kicked today, I had major doubts, but all 3 of his field goals were solid. Yeah, 2 were chippies but you've got to step up and make them, but his 44 yarder was a really nice kick.

Solid performance by Hedlund today, his points won the game for us. His performance today solidified his starting role on this team.
I will say I hope his time at Wake starts as well as it ends. Our last two have been statistically tops in the nation for a period of time and both talented enough for the next level. Injuries due to over-kicking and lack of attention to the details in the kicking game really hurt them their senior year and before and I really hope things end up a lot better for this kid because I feel really bad for the last two.

The last 2, being Swank and Newman. I would disagree on newman being talented enough for the next level. Right now, he's not even a starting College Kicker. There are 200 kickers that have a better argument than him for approximately 1-2 jobs a year that open up. I believe 1 out of 2 of his kicks would get blocked.

Over-kicking is laughable. They kick 3 days a WEEK. AN argument could be made for Swank who had to pull double duty multiple years. But Over-kicking is laughable if you only do one.

Blaming the coaches, holder, "over-kicking", and snappers for bad kicks is just bush league. Seriously.

He really impressed me with his 44-yarder. That looked really good.

It was a beautiful kick, good height, straight, looked good from the start. The 2 extra points he kicked prior to his FG's he hooked both, so I was concerned, but he looked real good on the 3 FG's.

Chad looked like he was strutting a bit on the sideline after the 2nd and 3rd field goal. I like it.

Nice job by Hedlund, particularly hitting the 44 yarder in the second half of a close game.

LMFAO at Newman being called talented enough for the next level.

Swank is on staff. I believe he's a defensive graduate assistant or something.

Oh I misread the post, I thought it said we have arguably the best kicker in school history so it's not on our staff.

I was like who's the best kicker in school history currently on the team?

I don't know if that's as true as it sounds. Swank sure knows a lot about kicking, and a few things about punting. But I doubt swank knows much about Kick coverage, Kickoff Return, FG protection, FG Block, Punt coverage and Punt Return.

Wake's model of special teams coaching is to have position coaches coaching 1 area of special teams. For example, Offensive line coach Lobo Coaches FG protection, Dline Coach McCartney coaches FG Block, Russ coaches Punt Team, D Coordinator will coach Punt return, Billy Mitchel Coaches Kickers and Punters etc etc. We don't have a true "Special Teams Coach" like the majority of college football teams, and all NFL teams do. Their #1 priority is not special teams, It's either offense or defense and their position group Special teams comes second to those priorities. So I do think we are at a coaching disadvantage vs other teams that do employ a special teams coach.

Well we did have a special teams coach last year and he did such a great job that he got canned

Nate Keading got placed on IR today. Someone get on the horn and let San Diego know that Newman is available.

Back