• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help Me Remember a Song Title (townie bat signal)

WFU03

Reaction score
So, google has failed me.

After reading the song of the millennium piece on grantland, I keep trying to remember a song that I loved, but I can't find it again for the life of me. So, pit, what song and/or band is in my head?

Here's what I can tell you:
-Male singer
-The band has never made it big. In fact, I'm not even sure they are terribly well regarded even in music circles.
-As far as I know, they have only had one or perhaps two full albums. I don't believe either was released on a label.
-I think they are from the Pacific Northwest and, if you made me pick, I want to say Portland.
-The particular album/song that I'm thinking of was done sometime between 2005 and 2010.
-The style of music is fairly slow-tempo, emo, folksy
-I believe the band uses horns
-The name of either a song off the album or the album itself is in the "Of _______ and ________" format.
-There's an outside change the song could be named after a city, maybe Reno.

So, any guesses? This is driving me batty.

Thanks for the guess, but no.

This song, as far as I know, was never featured in any movie, never charted, etc. I forgot how I even came to hear it the first time.

No, it's a band way, way less popular than someone like Stephen Malkmus. Which is, of course, why google is failing me.

It's not these guys is it? I don't know 'em but they're from Portland and they've got an "of" and "and" in their name and they sound emo as fuck.

Nope, but in terms of obscurity, I think this is more on the right track.

Unfortunately, I'm almost positive that this song doesn't have a video. At least it didn't when I was obsessed with it for a summer.

Nope, but in terms of obscurity, I think this is more on the right track.

Unfortunately, I'm almost positive that this song doesn't have a video. At least it didn't when I was obsessed with it for a summer.

You were obsessed with a song for a summer and this best info you can come up with? Fuck you!

You've gotta be able to be more specific than this if you spent a summer listening to this song. How sure are you the band is from Portland?

The style of music is fairly slow-tempo, emo, folksy
-I believe the band uses horns
-The name of either a song off the album or the album itself is in the "Of _______ and ________" format.
-There's an outside change the song could be named after a city, maybe Reno.
A folksy emo band that never made it, that may or may not have used horns, and there's an outside chance the song could be named after a city- LOL! If Townie gets this he's a musical savant.

What do you think the name of the band was- first thing that comes into your mind.

I know. It's ridiculous. That's why I'm enlisting help.

On the Portland thing, I'd say 50% sure. I'm 100% sure the band is from the West Coast and 90% sure it's the Pacific Northwest.

Make a post on /mu/. They answer stuff like this all the time.

I hope Townie can come through- I now wanna hear this song. Can you compare it to another song? If you find out what it is please let us know.

It's not edward sharpe & the magnetic zeros is it?

It's not edward sharpe & the magnetic zeros is it?

No, but I did first hear it and "Home" around the same time. I think the song is a bit older than Home though and I just hadn't found it yet.

Haha some tough going here, but here are my best 2 album guesses:

In Media Res - Of What Was - from Vancouver I think, slow, folksy
The Minders - It's a Bright Guilty World - Elephant 6 band, def has horns, obscure, from Portland

No way it's Les Claypool (far too weird) but his first two albums were both in the Of 'X' and 'X' format. The Microphones fit your bill, but stopped playing as The Microphones and became Mount Eerie around 03 or 04, plus I guess they had some good success. When I read the "of x and x" I thought of "The Decline of Country and Western Civilization" by Lambchop, which is folksy, but I think they're from Nashville, and no horns and "The House of Apples and Eyeballs" by BMSR and Octopus Project, but the music doesn't fit and they aren't from the West coast either.

Sorry!

Back