• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help Me Remember a Song Title (townie bat signal)

Haha some tough going here, but here are my best 2 album guesses:

In Media Res - Of What Was - from Vancouver I think, slow, folksy
The Minders - It's a Bright Guilty World - Elephant 6 band, def has horns, obscure, from Portland

No way it's Les Claypool (far too weird) but his first two albums were both in the Of 'X' and 'X' format. The Microphones fit your bill, but stopped playing as The Microphones and became Mount Eerie around 03 or 04, plus I guess they had some good success. When I read the "of x and x" I thought of "The Decline of Country and Western Civilization" by Lambchop, which is folksy, but I think they're from Nashville, and no horns and "The House of Apples and Eyeballs" by BMSR and Octopus Project, but the music doesn't fit and they aren't from the West coast either.

Sorry!

My last hope is extinguished. Not any of those.

I made a post on 4chan's /mu/ page, but it isn't showing up for me. Then again, I also just might be an idiot who doesn't understand how to use the site properly. Does anyone else see the post?

So, google has failed me.

After reading the song of the millennium piece on grantland, I keep trying to remember a song that I loved, but I can't find it again for the life of me. So, pit, what song and/or band is in my head?

Here's what I can tell you:
-Male singer
-The band has never made it big. In fact, I'm not even sure they are terribly well regarded even in music circles.
-As far as I know, they have only had one or perhaps two full albums. I don't believe either was released on a label.
-I think they are from the Pacific Northwest and, if you made me pick, I want to say Portland.
-The particular album/song that I'm thinking of was done sometime between 2005 and 2010.
-The style of music is fairly slow-tempo, emo, folksy
-I believe the band uses horns
-The name of either a song off the album or the album itself is in the "Of _______ and ________" format.
-There's an outside change the song could be named after a city, maybe Reno.

So, any guesses? This is driving me batty.

-Check
-Check
-Check, sort of. Turns out they are from Seattle.
-Check, the album was released in 2008.
-Most of the other tracks off the album are more like this than "Rio".
-Check, definitely horns (and strings)
-Got this wrong, but close. The album is "To Travels and Trunks".
-Close, but just off. Rio it is.

Nope, but in terms of obscurity, I think this is more on the right track.

Unfortunately, I'm almost positive that this song doesn't have a video. At least it didn't when I was obsessed with it for a summer.

Totally wrong on this. And the second I found the video again, I remembered having seen it a bunch of times that summer too. Ah, memory. So reliable.

Last edited:
lol we even saw them at lollapalooza this year. thought of them and dismissed them as too well known. dumb.

more importantly you figured it out! anything you did that triggered it?

lol we even saw them at lollapalooza this year. thought of them and dismissed them as too well known. dumb.

more importantly you figured it out! anything you did that triggered it?

After I remembered, I found out they played at lollapalooza this year and I was thinking, "Seriously?!?!"

I hadn't thought about them since 2010 or so. I kept searching for Reno, track, lyrics, band, etc. and finally stumbled upon Duran Duran's "Rio." When I saw that, I immediately knew that it wasn't Reno, but Rio. Then I found it pretty quickly. I almost jumped out of my chair when I finally saw the name Hey Marseilles instead of Duran Duran. :woot:

Niiiiice. Yeah they were dope at lolla this year. Defs wouldn't have thought of this song based on your hints though

Niiiiice. Yeah they were dope at lolla this year. Defs wouldn't have thought of this song based on your hints though

Most of them were accurate though. Apprently I think about the song differently than everyone else then.

Re-obsessed (is that word?) with this song. I can't stop listening to it, nor can I describe what makes it different for me than a thousand other songs.

All I know is that the irrepressible optimism of the song mirrors my demeanor regarding finally hiring any coach not named [Redacted].

Love might be a hazard in lower Manhattan, but I can't help but feel better about the future after I listen to this song.

Back