• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help! What allergy medication do you use?

DrummerDeac

Reaction score
I have been using Claritin this year (like I usually do) and it's just not cutting it. I have been getting the usual stuffy/runny nose, and itchy red eyes. Makes me annoyed that I preemptively bought a 40 pack to start the season.

Come to think of it, maybe I used to use Claritin-D, but I don't think that should change much as far as it working well, right?

Either way, what do you use or do you have any good suggestions for reliable allergy meds? Thanks!

I take 2 Zyrtek a day (actually Walgreens brand Wal-Zyr), morning and night. I'm wondering if its too much, and my body will get used to it and itll stop working, but for now I'm without symptoms, so I'm ok with it.

This requires a prescription, but for the past 4-5 years I have lived on a combination of Singulair (pills), Nasonex (nasal spray) and Optivar (eye drops) to make it through the spring. These were all recommended by an allergist and the combination has worked wonders on me. I have the occasional sneeze and itchy eyes, but life is so much better during allergy season on these meds.

I've had success with antihistamine eyedrops like Zaditor and Alaway (or whatever the generic CVS/Walgreens name is). They work pretty well on my sinuses in addition to my eyes.

This requires a prescription, but for the past 4-5 years I have lived on a combination of Singulair (pills), Nasonex (nasal spray) and Optivar (eye drops) to make it through the spring. These were all recommended by an allergist and the combination has worked wonders on me. I have the occasional sneeze and itchy eyes, but life is so much better during allergy season on these meds.

I take a 24 hour Claritin twice a day with a Singulair in the morning. I would definitely recommend asking a doctor about Singulair- it's made a HUGE difference for me.

Wow, I'm surprised at the variety of responses on here. Thanks for the replies so far. I think I might try Zyrtec or Allegra since I recognize those names the most.

I take 2 Zyrtek a day (actually Walgreens brand Wal-Zyr), morning and night. I'm wondering if its too much, and my body will get used to it and itll stop working, but for now I'm without symptoms, so I'm ok with it.

I wonder if this is what happened to me, too... although the past few years I haven't really had to use allergy medication as much compared to when I was at Wake because I've been living/working in NYC. Now I'm out in the burbs and it's definitely hitting me.

I take singulair (prescription) and allegra at night. During the day, I take Allegra or Allegra-D depending on the severity of my allergies. I don't take the Allegra nor Allegra D year round but I do take the singulair year round. I have taken this combination for several years now and it has done wonders for my allergies. I went from getting a sinus infection at least once a month, to getting a total of 1 sometimes 2 a year.

Zyrtec (knockoff CVS version) every night.

I asked my doc if this was OK and he offered to up the dosage. I told I am fine where I am.. It works!

I use Mucinex-D. In NC you need a prescription to use it but in Texas you don't.

I've been getting allergy shots for about a dozen years. Been on all sorts of allergy meds in my lifetime, going back to prescrips like Seldane & Tavist D. Claritan D worked for a while. Zyrtec never really did it for me. Allegra D 12 hour twice a day for about the last 5 years.

Allegra, either once or twice a day, flonase at night, and some mucinex if I have certain symptoms of drainage.

I've taken Zyrtec, Zyrtec-D, Claritin, Claritin-D, Clarinex, Zyxal, Nasonex, and Flonase, and none of them work for me anymore.

I'm currently taking Allegra-D, which is working ok, and Singulair, which is helping some as well. I just don't go outdoors during the spring. I was at a horse race on Saturday and suffered for 2 days afterwards, even after 3 showers. Afrin (that super strong nose spray) only works on me for an hour, whereas I've never met anyone who it doesn't work for 4 hours on. I got tested for allergies once and my allergist told me she'd never seen anyone with seasonal allergies worse than mine.

I'm going to an allergist in June to start getting allergy drops, assuming they think they'll work. I've never tried them before, but I feel like it's my last hope.

Dude, go to Costco

A bottle of 365 is like 14 bucks

I take 2 a day too

After my sinus surgery Nasonex is all I need (except for rare occasions when I spend too much time outside in the spring). Thank goodness for the roto-rooter.

I never found anything that worked until I tried allegra-d this year. It was working so good i thought maybe the pollen just wasnt bad. I ran out yesterday morning and was okay until this afternoon. I just took one 20 minutes ago. I've been sleeping with my windows open since Saturday.

"Allergies are all in the mind, Lemon. Used to have a wicked peanut allergy, and now witness."

Back