• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help! What allergy medication do you use?

Zyrtec-D works best for me. I've taken every allergy drug on the market, starting with allergy shots at age 2. I think they lose their effectiveness over time, so it's probably good to keep mixing it up. That said, Zyrtec-D (or whatever the generic they have at your local drug store) has probably had the long-lasting effectiveness of any of them for me.

Side note: pseudoephedrine laws are such a pain in the ass. It sucked trying to stock up before going out of the country for a while. Had to have all my friends by me a pack.

After my sinus surgery Nasonex is all I need (except for rare occasions when I spend too much time outside in the spring). Thank goodness for the roto-rooter.

Shit's super $$$$, even with insurance

I've been getting allergy shots for about a dozen years. Been on all sorts of allergy meds in my lifetime, going back to prescrips like Seldane & Tavist D. Claritan D worked for a while. Zyrtec never really did it for me. Allegra D 12 hour twice a day for about the last 5 years.

That's a long time to be on shots. There is good evidence that many/most people can start weaning from shots after ~ 3 years. Have you tried coming off them? Something to consider. If you get worse, start them up again.

Zyrtec-D works best for me. I've taken every allergy drug on the market, starting with allergy shots at age 2. I think they lose their effectiveness over time, so it's probably good to keep mixing it up. That said, Zyrtec-D (or whatever the generic they have at your local drug store) has probably had the long-lasting effectiveness of any of them for me.

Side note: pseudoephedrine laws are such a pain in the ass. It sucked trying to stock up before going out of the country for a while. Had to have all my friends by me a pack.

Sucks, but it's for the best. Used to make dangerous, cheap meth.

What does the d add to the zyrtec?

I know it acts like a super expectorant for mucinex

Dude, go to Costco

A bottle of 365 is like 14 bucks

I take 2 a day too

REALLY? Man, I need to check that out. Right now its 100 pills for $30. Need dat upgrade.

Have you ever noticed a decrease in it working after taking 2 a day? How long have you been taking 2 a day?

Use Zyrtec-D normally. Occasionally use a prescription drug if my symptoms get bad enough. Benadryl is apparently the strongest non-prescription drug you can get, but it also has a lot of side effects (according to a doctor and pharmacist). It makes me tired but it helps out in a bind.

Used Claritin-D before, not a big fan of it. Did weird things and I don't feel it worked that well.

texasdeac said:
I use Mucinex-D. In NC you need a prescription to use it but in Texas you don't.

False. In both states you have to show ID so they can track your usage but both states are nonprescription. I've bought in both states this year.

Use Zyrtec-D normally. Occasionally use a prescription drug if my symptoms get bad enough. Benadryl is apparently the strongest non-prescription drug you can get, but it also has a lot of side effects (according to a doctor and pharmacist). It makes me tired but it helps out in a bind.

Used Claritin-D before, not a big fan of it. Did weird things and I don't feel it worked that well.

Didn't know that... for some reason I assumed others would be better. Benadryl makes me really sleepy too so I personally wouldn't use that as a first choice.

Zyrtec (knockoff CVS version) every night.

I asked my doc if this was OK and he offered to up the dosage. I told I am fine where I am.. It works!

Doesn't Zyrtec have caffeine in it? My GF has always told me this and its the reason she doesn't take it before bed.

neilmed-sinus-rinse.jpg

You should all try this. Flush your sinuses once or twice a day. Works pretty well for me.

Doesn't Zyrtec have caffeine in it? My GF has always told me this and its the reason she doesn't take it before bed.

I have never had a problem going to sleep. Pop my pill after I brush my teeth.

epipen.jpg

i usually just jam one of these into my neck if i'm having an allergic reaction

Back