• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Herb out at Arizona State

WFUWaldo

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
9 seasons, 155-133 record, 2 NCAA tournaments, 0 Sweet 16s.

He was able to recruit some talent but never had much success. I'd imagine he'll find his way back to the mid-majors if he's still interested in coaching.

He's stuck around far longer than he should have. Props to him.

That guy stole money from two different schools for at least 10 of the years he coached. Good for him is right.

ASU should be happy with their place in the Pac 12 and be happy with Herb. How can they possibly expect to compete with Arizona and UCLA.

Without looking, that ASU record has gotta look alot like his record at NCSU....almost 2 decades of mediocrity.

That guy stole money from two different schools for at least 10 of the years he coached. Good for him is right.

DUVxfvw.png

Maybe Starkville MS doesn't look so good to Ben Howland now? I have to imagine he'd love to compete against UCLA.
If you're Gregg Marshall, do you take a look?

Always thought Herb was a better coach than most thought. Yes, Sendek had "only 2" NCAA appearances in 9 seasons; but, ASU had "only" 3 NCAA appearances in the previous 25 years, including 8 under Bill Frieder. who took 5 straight Michigan teams to the NCAAs, only to crash and burn at ASU.

Arizona does not produce much in-state elite basketball talent, and when it does, Arizona has a lock on the limited talent that exists. So, ASU has to compete with all of the California schools, plus Arizona, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas (among many others) for California talent. Suffice to say that ASU will always be playing with lesser talent or damaged goods, given the job/recruiting demographics.

Fun to joke-down Herb, but 9 years from now, I don't see Arizona State having a better run than what Herb gave them.

What's the downside though? No one pays attention to your school? I didn't even know he was still there - I just assumed he had been quietly fired years ago. There's no downside to firing him, and at some point you get lucky and make a great hire.

Maybe Starkville MS doesn't look so good to Ben Howland now? I have to imagine he'd love to compete against UCLA.
If you're Gregg Marshall, do you take a look?

I dont think he would. But Alabama is supposedly going to throw the kitchen sink at him and he's willing to listen.

What's the downside though? No one pays attention to your school? I didn't even know he was still there - I just assumed he had been quietly fired years ago. There's no downside to firing him, and at some point you get lucky and make a great hire.

Right. It takes an obviously bad hire like [Redacted] to truly tank a decent program.

There is always downside. We of all fan bases should realize this.

There is always downside. We of all fan bases should realize this.

Sure there is a downside when an AD fails to hire a legit head coach in order to retain a staff then hires his friend who has no track record of winning.

Sure there is a downside when an AD fails to hire a legit head coach in order to retain a staff then hires his friend who has no track record of winning.

To whom are you referring to?

Didn't realize that Herb was still there. Thought he was a good hire by ASU, but as has already been mentioned, ASU is beyond an afterthought when it comes to basketball in the state of Arizona.

I dont think he would. But Alabama is supposedly going to throw the kitchen sink at him and he's willing to listen.

I can't figure out why he would consider the Bama job (but for the money). A BB coach will always be in Saban's shadow. Maybe the money is reason enough. Either that or his ego is such that he believes he can be the one BB coach who can succeed there. Certainly a challenge. He'd likely become the Leonard Hamilton of the SEC.

I think Howland was scared to death that once again he'd be left without a chair when the music stops

Back