• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hinton for the Starter: Who's In?

Who cares. Another year of abysmal OL play and a terrible offensive scheme trumps all.

Quarterback roulette doesn't work, certainly not for us.

Kearns is the dude. Yall trust me on this.

ITT: this shit again

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

This is so ridiculous. The difference between these players is immaterial and this debate masks the problem which is our inept offensive design. It doesn't work for either player.

But for stats, here's the evidence that shows the irrelevance of the QB selection:

Rushing: Wolford 3.0 ypc; Hinton 3.0 ypc

Passing: Wolford 4.6 ypa; Hinton 4.3 ypa

They are equally good/bad and any arguments in favor of one can be refuted by arguments in favor of the other.

Place the blame where it belongs: A coaching staff who can't design a respectable offense. Who doubts that if Willie Fritz was Wake's coach we'd have won in a blowout?

This staff shows such disrespect for our players. They are smart enough for most to earn Wake degrees, but they are too young and dumb to grasp any sort of complex offense. The O line is not cerebral enough to learn what the staff believes are legit blocking techniques...too young, not strong enough, haven't played together long enough. This was so apparent last night as the opposing coach in one spring and fall camp put in place an entirely new offense with few players he recruited, and had a team looking like they knew what they were doing. Our run game concept last night all took place in a 3 foot square behind the center's ass. Just awful. I swear our playbook looks like a page long. This has to change. Forget winning. It's not even watchable.

This is so ridiculous. The difference between these players is immaterial and this debate masks the problem which is our inept offensive design. It doesn't work for either player.

But for stats, here's the evidence that shows the irrelevance of the QB selection:

Rushing: Wolford 3.0 ypc; Hinton 3.0 ypc

Passing: Wolford 4.6 ypa; Hinton 4.3 ypa

They are equally good/bad and any arguments in favor of one can be refuted by arguments in favor of the other.

Place the blame where it belongs: A coaching staff who can't design a respectable offense. Who doubts that if Willie Fritz was Wake's coach we'd have won in a blowout?

If we could hire Fritz right now and let Clawson go, I'd take that deal right now. I like Clawson and I've been pro-Clawson the first 2 years because he inherited shit on offense, but if the offense is as bad as it was last night in year 3, then I'm Claws-Out.

Its not even that the offense was bad. I wouldn't have blamed Clawson as much if the team just didn't execute. But we have NO FUCKING PLAN on offense. We almost never attack the edges- only with Hinton running the purported read option (better described as a Hinton sweep with a play fake to the RB) and the one play to Colburn that, gasp, gained yardage. We have Hines and Wade and yet throw no smoke routes, no bubble screens, no shallow drags, nothing to get the ball to playmakers and let them make plays. Our entire offensive passing scheme seems to involve nothing but take offs and fades- I'm all for throwing deep, but not if every throw is outside of the hashmarks.

This was not a game where the just the execution was poor (although it was), it was a game where there is no way to visualize how the offense as currently constructed will ever be successful.

our two QBs have issues.

just like i remembered of him last season, Hinton has no arm. he puts it into the dirt on every throw. having said that, he is electric when running and maybe our best play-maker on offense.

i think i would stick with Wolford, who can make the throws if the WRs bring the ball down. there were a few passes that should have been caught by average WRs. he can scramble some and picked up a few 1st downs doing so. it is not his game, but the OL is as bad as the last few years...not sure why they show no improvement.

we were very lucky to come out of that game with a win, they kicked our ass in the second half.

Its not even that the offense was bad. I wouldn't have blamed Clawson as much if the team just didn't execute. But we have NO FUCKING PLAN on offense. We almost never attack the edges- only with Hinton running the purported read option (better described as a Hinton sweep with a play fake to the RB) and the one play to Colburn that, gasp, gained yardage. We have Hines and Wade and yet throw no smoke routes, no bubble screens, no shallow drags, nothing to get the ball to playmakers and let them make plays. Our entire offensive passing scheme seems to involve nothing but take offs and fades- I'm all for throwing deep, but not if every throw is outside of the hashmarks.

This was not a game where the just the execution was poor (although it was), it was a game where there is no way to visualize how the offense as currently constructed will ever be successful.

I completely agree. There was no coherent plan on offense last night, it made the past Lobo offenses inventive.

Back