• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Hip hop has done more damage than racism"

yeah what was the point? That aint jack shit and it doesn't disprove anything.

Are you going to take on the income situation in America in this thread? This should be good, Mr. Conservative. Please, tell us how good the working class has it.

I am not a conservative, but carry on.

Curious as to why you think GDP and median income should be linked.

Also by adjusting for inflation he was giving you the real dollars figure.

Not arguing ether side but am curious as to why GDP and median income would be linked. GDP is going to naturally rise as population rises. Doesn't really seem to have any meaningful correlation to median income. I could be missing something you see though.

Sorry I was typing too fast. Per capita real GDP. Just pointing that the wealth has grown a lot faster than the average income. The improvements in productivity haven't translated to higher wages for the average worker.

Sorry I was typing too fast. Per capita real GDP. Just pointing that the wealth has grown a lot faster than the average income. The improvements in productivity haven't translated to higher wages for the average worker.

Right, but as we have discussed before, the average worker can buy a lot more with those wages because of the improvements in productivity. More/better food, more/better medicine, more efficient cars/gas, more efficient home energy, plus all of the non-essential technology items that are relatively inexpensive but have exponentially changed quality of life.

ok i changed my mind, close the thread down

ok i changed my mind, close the thread down

nypost-480x640.jpg

Right, but as we have discussed before, the average worker can buy a lot more with those wages because of the improvements in productivity. More/better food, more/better medicine, more efficient cars/gas, more efficient home energy, plus all of the non-essential technology items that are relatively inexpensive but have exponentially changed quality of life.

they also have to buy a lot more hours of childcare.

People didn't have to buy childcare before if they chose to increase their family's income by having both spouses work? If your argument is that only one spouse worked, then great, but the family wage would have been significantly less. That childcare expense is an expense of ~doubling the family's gross pay, not an effect of the economy overall.

People didn't have to buy childcare before if they chose to increase their family's income by having both spouses work? If your argument is that only one spouse worked, then great, but the family wage would have been significantly less. That childcare expense is an expense of ~doubling the family's gross pay, not an effect of the economy overall.

Not quite doubling it. Multiplying it by 1.74, more likely. And that's if they're not looking for jobs with you hiring.

youre missing the part where more of these median households now have 2 incomes and thus childcare expenses.

Median household income has risen 5 grand while the percentage of duel earning households has nearly doubled.

I'm shocked at the 22% where the parents are married and only the father works. Thought that number would be MUCH smaller.

I'm shocked at the 22% where the parents are married and only the father works. Thought that number would be MUCH smaller.

Really? I know quite a few couples among Wake grads where the mother with a Wake bachelor's plus some degrees stays at home. I know plenty of college educated stay at home moms in my neighborhood as well. That's not surprising at all. That's probably even more common among moms with a high school or "some college" education married to mean with high earning jobs.

Or we could acknowledge the relevant portion of that data set.

Last edited:
*coughs audibly*

i realize you're just trolling, but it's worth stressing that the number of families with 2 parents with only 1 working went from 65% to 22%. so that 10% gain in median family income is still coming up short.

i realize you're just trolling, but it's worth stressing that the number of families with 2 parents with only 1 working went from 65% to 22%. so that 10% gain in median family income is still coming up short.

So to keep up with the cost of living, that second income helps, then? Imagine that.

Back