• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hiring Buzz Prediction Thread (2010)

This thread makes about as much sense as taking financial projections for New Orleans FY 2006 made in July 2005 seriosuly.

WHERE'S WALDO?

"I think Buzz will have fairly good success at Wake....2012 I expect to at least make the weekend of the ACC tournament and get a Sweet 16 birth. I say this understanding fully that Tony will probably not be here his senior year."

When Jeff Goodman broke that rumor from out of nowhere that we were close to hiring [Redacted], I believe I was the 2nd or 3rd post on that thread and my take was that it was total bullshit. I did not believe there was any way Wellman would be targeting [Redacted]. I think I said something about how Goodman looked like the 4th Manning brother who Archie kept chained in the basement. Wasn't until another poster confirmed that the rumor was true that I could begin to believe it.

While [Redacted] was never on the list of guys I wanted to see on the Wake sideline, once the hiring was announced, I did think perhaps it was crazy enough to work and that the marriage of [Redacted]'s purported Xs and Os mastery with Battle's recruiting could lead to a team of smart and talented basketball players. I also thought that Dino was a pretty terrible head coach for basically losing his team 3 years in a row and that virtually anyone would be an improvement.

Obviously, the [Redacted] Era has sucked. I don't think it is entirely his fault, as there have been several bad things happen that are outside his control (e.g., the only PG on the roster breaking his foot in the 1st game of the 2010-11 season), but I do think he's the wrong guy for Wake Forest basketball at this time. That said, I don't bitch about it here, because I'm a pragmatist and know that he's most likely going to be the basketball coach for at least another year or 2. Thus, all the outraged "Bzz Out" posts after every single game are, IMO, for now, basically a waste of time. All I can really do is watch the games (or at least as much as I can stomach) and hope I'm very wrong and that things will eventually improve.

I also can't get behind attacking [Redacted] personally, because I don't know the guy. I suspect he's working hard and doing the best he can. Most of the insiders have reported that he's a decent guy who works nonstop and takes the losses very hard. He's failing, but I don't think it's because he's a bad guy, just as Jim Caldwell wasn't a dick because his teams couldn't win football games.

So there you go. The longest post I've ever made about [Redacted].

Way too reasonable, man. It's the internet. If you're not a total asshole (like Dv7) or a troll (Moooonnnz), your'e doing it wrong.

Its pretty easy for me to do screenshots & upload to imgur in one click, so I'm going to dump a lot of the best (and worst) posts from the wayback machine link.... Sorry for any duplicates that have already been discussed.

I'll update this as I read back through the thread...

Notable:

a6vA2.png

MmXKB.png

lGnbt.png

Fjcz4.png

CzO9j.png

kKKx5.png

N4DUH.png

Last edited:
This thread makes about as much sense as taking financial projections for New Orleans FY 2006 made in July 2005 seriosuly.

First, two year out projections were foolish on your part. Second, regardless, they directly contradict your more recent comments that we couldn't have hired someone better because of the condition of the program.

Thank you Stonz:

"He is extremely well known in basketball circles. How many NBA assistant coaches can you name? The casual basketball fan probably can't name any, but the top assistants in the NBA (a group [Redacted] was long a part of) are some of the best basketball minds out there, and are incredibly well-respected by people who know basketball."

Hell I stand by all of that, even though I honestly don't remember making that post. A lot of people were criticizing the hire simply because they had never heard of [Redacted].

Bob Staak had a long career as an NBA asst after he was fired from Wake.

Alot of people criticized the hire because nothing in his resume indicated that he was likely to be a success here.

qsjIa.png

while this is a double post in this thread, I encourage everyone to see how often it applies.

Back