• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hiring Buzz Prediction Thread (2010)

In chat when the [Redacted] story broke, I said if we hired him I would stop following Wake sports. I should have stuck to my threat.

Not surprising since the rumors came the day after you told me that the names on our short list were Jay Wright, Tubby, Donovan and possibly Izzo.

That was the list people compiled? Like seriously. I realize people like to dream, but come on. Izzo!? I wish.

Moon: I think this hire will turn out great.

jamesda3: Just got done watching the presser and he sounds excited and sincere, but I definitely think he will be feeling the pressure to win right away and I hope those nerves don't get to him on the sideline.

DeaconSlim:
I was not in favor of firing Dino...I think it was the wrong move.

I was not and am not a fan of [Redacted] and do not think he is the right move for the program.

I think we will win some games, but no more than we did with Dino or would have with Dino in the next year or two.

I don't think we will come close to the .500 record we had against Duke/UNC under Dino.

I don't think we will win any more games in the postseason than Dino did.

I don't approve of [Redacted] and think we ruined or delayed an opportunity to improve the public image of Wake Forest Basketball.

:cool:

In chat when the [Redacted] story broke, I said if we hired him I would stop following Wake sports. I should have stuck to my threat.

We all get a pass. I still watch every game start to finish. I can't help myself.

It's not worth fighting about any more.

qsjIa.png

So let me see if I have it correct... Moon under the guise of one of his many unfunny parodies pretended to be a Bzz supporter as an inside joke to the delight of a handful of a few other clowns like dv7 and Irish Vagina?

Hahaha... That's even more gay then if he honestly believed Bzz was a "great" hire in 2010.

You need to lose weight. Fatness kills!

I have no idea if I posted on the boards at the time, but I clearly went on record.

Is Wake Forest About to Jump off a Cliff

That Fork You See Is Aiming Right at My Love (of Spectator Sports)

After reading these (and I hope you won't mind me quoting two of the most poignant paragraphs on this site), I look forward to reading what Saneff prognosticated tomorrow... because it would be frickin' hard to top these in terms of foresight & accuracy:

Look, I am just a long time fan with a blog. I don’t know squat about running a university athletic department. Maybe this hire will be a stoke of sheer brilliance. But if it is, Ron Wellman must have information that Google hasn’t found.
Because nothing about this makes sense to the untrained eye.
(via Newsome.org)

About the only way I can explain the timing and chronology of events would be if Ron wanted to make a change, right that minute, and deemed any change better than the status quo. I don’t agree with that- I’m afraid we are barreling a hundred miles an hour towards something much worse that the former status quo. But again, I’m just a guy with a blog. As I noted the other night, I mean absolutely no disrespect to Jeff [Redacted] or Ron Wellman, but college coaches and ADs are highly paid public figures, so this sort of analysis comes with the territory.
(via Newsome.org)

Don't remember if I posted, but I think I expected Bzzz to be a great in-game coach and would have us playing good fundamental basketball. That was the only positive I could find in the hire.

go:

"I support him and I honestly can say I have no idea what is going to happen, but this is Wake and I know something bad will happen." (emphasis supplied).

HAHAHAHA, that's awesome.

Unbelievably, as down as saneff was on the hire, even he could not fathom the depths to which we have actually plunged:

"I'm very disappointed in this hiring.

If you haven't made a name for yourself in basketball coaching (and he hasn't and you know it) by the time you're 57, it's highly unlikely that you ever will. I can't think of an NCAA basketball coaches that did that. Maybe there are though, but if so there are very few.

I think we've probably ended up with another Dave Odom at best. The ceiling will not be very high, although the floor will not be very low in terms of wins and losses. He will not get big time recruits, but will get a lot out of mediocre talent. We will have Dave Odom-type (non Duncan years) teams and play and records. There is just not a big upside to this guy. I was actually hoping to get a guy that could keep getting big time recruits in here. We are in for some boring, mediocre years. ick. Get ready for lots of 19-12 - esque, borderline NCAA tourney seasons. WFU fans have seen a bunch of those over the years so it's more of the same.

These boards are going to be roasting this guy within a year and it will be off and on until he's gone. More of the same for WFU. Decent records, very little if any post season success, and conitinued frustration as a result. I'm at a loss as to what Wellman was thinking. I'm not even going to post what a former NCAA Div 1 head coach and NBA asst said about this hire.

Rarely post anymore, and I'm sure I'm about to get beat to death on here. But that's just my honest take."

"Oh, and let me add that he came off as a complete goofball I thought in his press conference. A 57 year old man that has been dealing in public jobs all his life should be in better form than that. He is not an impressive man, and that will come across in recruiting. He does NOT command a room.

Yikes, Wellman."

Unbelievably, as down as saneff was on the hire, even he could not fathom the depths to which we have actually plunged:

"I'm very disappointed in this hiring.

If you haven't made a name for yourself in basketball coaching (and he hasn't and you know it) by the time you're 57, it's highly unlikely that you ever will. I can't think of an NCAA basketball coaches that did that. Maybe there are though, but if so there are very few.

I think we've probably ended up with another Dave Odom at best. The ceiling will not be very high, although the floor will not be very low in terms of wins and losses. He will not get big time recruits, but will get a lot out of mediocre talent. We will have Dave Odom-type (non Duncan years) teams and play and records. There is just not a big upside to this guy. I was actually hoping to get a guy that could keep getting big time recruits in here. We are in for some boring, mediocre years. ick. Get ready for lots of 19-12 - esque, borderline NCAA tourney seasons. WFU fans have seen a bunch of those over the years so it's more of the same.

These boards are going to be roasting this guy within a year and it will be off and on until he's gone. More of the same for WFU. Decent records, very little if any post season success, and conitinued frustration as a result. I'm at a loss as to what Wellman was thinking. I'm not even going to post what a former NCAA Div 1 head coach and NBA asst said about this hire.

Rarely post anymore, and I'm sure I'm about to get beat to death on here. But that's just my honest take."

"Oh, and let me add that he came off as a complete goofball I thought in his press conference. A 57 year old man that has been dealing in public jobs all his life should be in better form than that. He is not an impressive man, and that will come across in recruiting. He does NOT command a room.

Yikes, Wellman."

Well, that part was wrong. I must've missed the off-roasting season.

Everything else is eerily prescient.

When Jeff Goodman broke that rumor from out of nowhere that we were close to hiring [Redacted], I believe I was the 2nd or 3rd post on that thread and my take was that it was total bullshit. I did not believe there was any way Wellman would be targeting [Redacted]. I think I said something about how Goodman looked like the 4th Manning brother who Archie kept chained in the basement. Wasn't until another poster confirmed that the rumor was true that I could begin to believe it.

While [Redacted] was never on the list of guys I wanted to see on the Wake sideline, once the hiring was announced, I did think perhaps it was crazy enough to work and that the marriage of [Redacted]'s purported Xs and Os mastery with Battle's recruiting could lead to a team of smart and talented basketball players. I also thought that Dino was a pretty terrible head coach for basically losing his team 3 years in a row and that virtually anyone would be an improvement.

Obviously, the [Redacted] Era has sucked. I don't think it is entirely his fault, as there have been several bad things happen that are outside his control (e.g., the only PG on the roster breaking his foot in the 1st game of the 2010-11 season), but I do think he's the wrong guy for Wake Forest basketball at this time. That said, I don't bitch about it here, because I'm a pragmatist and know that he's most likely going to be the basketball coach for at least another year or 2. Thus, all the outraged "Bzz Out" posts after every single game are, IMO, for now, basically a waste of time. All I can really do is watch the games (or at least as much as I can stomach) and hope I'm very wrong and that things will eventually improve.

I also can't get behind attacking [Redacted] personally, because I don't know the guy. I suspect he's working hard and doing the best he can. Most of the insiders have reported that he's a decent guy who works nonstop and takes the losses very hard. He's failing, but I don't think it's because he's a bad guy, just as Jim Caldwell wasn't a dick because his teams couldn't win football games.

So there you go. The longest post I've ever made about [Redacted].

Back