• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HOF Results out tomorrow - Maddux not unanimous?

YoungBuck95

Reaction score
The hall of fame results come out tomorrow. Ken Gurnick says he will never vote for a player that played during the steroid era and he didn't vote for Maddux, but voted for Jack Morris. I've seen people saying that is the biggest ballot felony you could possibly make.

Jack Morris played from 1977 to 1994. Anyone that thinks that there were no PEDs used during that time frame is nuts. The A's Bash Brothers era ran from 1987 to 1991.

Also, amphetamines were widely used in baseball from the 1950s until drug testing commenced around 2004. They are banned now and use of them results in the same suspensions as steroids. Have never heard a rational explanation as to why baseball's "amphetamine era" gets a hall pass. Amphetamines and steroids are both PEDs.

Finally, why are so many Steelers from the 1970s in the hall of fame? They were the first wide-spread users of steroids in the NFL, and no one gives a crap.

Jack Morris played from 1977 to 1994. Anyone that thinks that there were no PEDs used during that time frame is nuts. The A's Bash Brothers era ran from 1987 to 1991.

Also, amphetamines were widely used in baseball from the 1950s until drug testing commenced around 2004. They are banned now and use of them results in the same suspensions as steroids. Have never heard a rational explanation as to why baseball's "amphetamine era" gets a hall pass. Amphetamines and steroids are both PEDs.

Finally, why are so many Steelers from the 1970s in the hall of fame? They were the first wide-spread users of steroids in the NFL, and no one gives a crap.
Not only this, but also that pesky detail that Jack Morris wasn't very good at baseball.

Greg Maddux and Jack Morris overlapped for 7 seasons, including 3 of Maddux's 4 Cy Young Seasons.

This writer is a DONK.

It's even more ridiculous that it could hold Maddux back from being unanimous.

Do you have to be a self-righteous prick to have a baseball HOF vote?

is bledsoe eligible? is a HOF tag

Maddux has one of the most un-athletic looking bodies I've ever seen on a professional athlete. If he was using steroids, then we need to seriously re-evaluate the entire steroid era.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/02/why-hasnt-there-been-a-unanimous-hall-of-famer-and-20-players-who-should-have-been/

"What theory could possibly explain how 22 people who allegedly have watched a baseball game in their lives did not vote for Willie Mays?...

Theory: I’ve always been a bit baffled by the relative lack of support for Spahn. My only guess it that the Hall of Fame voters were particularly judgmental and hypercritical and exacting for about a 10-year period from 1966 to 1976. During that time, they did not vote Yogi Berra on first ballot. Whitey Ford did not get in on first ballot. Early Wynn, a 300-game winner, got 27.9% of the vote his first year. Duke Snider could not even get 20% his first year. Eddie Mathews with his 500 home runs could not even garner one-third of the vote. Robin Roberts had to wait until his fourth year. I think Spahn just got locked up in all the crazy negativity."

Last edited:
the bbwaa continues to tarnish the legacy of the game and undermine their role as "caretakers of the game."

In the first election, Babe Ruth only got 95% of the vote. Walter Johnson got 83%. At least they got elected; Cy Young didn't make the cut.

The highest percentage of the vote ever received was by Tom Seaver, who got 98% of the vote. Five guys didn't vote for him (one reportedly because he didn't see his name on the ballot).

Maddux has one of the most un-athletic looking bodies I've ever seen on a professional athlete. If he was using steroids, then we need to seriously re-evaluate the entire steroid era.

As the great John Kruk would say he wasn't an athlete, he was a ball player.

In the first election, Babe Ruth only got 95% of the vote. Walter Johnson got 83%. At least they got elected; Cy Young didn't make the cut.

The highest percentage of the vote ever received was by Tom Seaver, who got 98% of the vote. Five guys didn't vote for him (one reportedly because he didn't see his name on the ballot).

What a joke. Yeah Babe Ruth or Walter Johnson shouldn't be 100% at all. Like VA said, these voters are the most self-righteous goofs around.

Back