• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HOF Results out tomorrow - Maddux not unanimous?

Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, a former reporter for the Los Angeles Herald Examiner, said Tuesday the only player he voted for was Jack Morris, on the writers' ballot for the 15th and final time after falling 42 votes shy last year.

"To me, I didn't exclude Maddux. I excluded everybody from that era, everybody from the Steroid Era," Gurnick said. "It wasn't about Greg Maddux, it was about the entire era. I just don't know who did and who didn't."

Gurnick said Morris also was the only player he voted for in 2013 and added he intends to abstain in future elections.

"Some people quibble over when the era starts, but the bulk of his career was in my opinion well before all of the widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs," Gurnick said.

Thankfully.

What a joke. Yeah Babe Ruth or Walter Johnson shouldn't be 100% at all. Like VA said, these voters are the most self-righteous goofs around.

To be fair to the writers on Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson, the HOF was started after their careers ended, so they had about 50 top players to vote for. Obviously Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson should have been on every ballot, but what if a writer knew they were going to get in, and said well I want this guy to get in as well, so I'll vote for these 9 no brainers, and then this guy who is border line instead of Babe Ruth?

"Journalism" is such a shit industry full of self-righteous out of touch dick heads...of that group sports writers are the worst...of that group baseball writers are the worst.

To be fair to the writers on Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson, the HOF was started after their careers ended, so they had about 50 top players to vote for. Obviously Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson should have been on every ballot, but what if a writer knew they were going to get in, and said well I want this guy to get in as well, so I'll vote for these 9 no brainers, and then this guy who is border line instead of Babe Ruth?

That would have made some sense, but I tend to doubt any of the writers back then did that. At any rate, it's hard to believe 17% of the writers decided to leave off Walter Johnson for "strategic" reasons.

Going forward, though, the loaded ballots of the day did cause problems, with an inability to get a consensus. They compounded the problem by deciding to hold elections only every other year, so between 1939 and 1945 nobody was elected except Rogers Hornsby.

That is what led to the formation of the first (or technically second, I guess) Veterans Committee, which then inducted about two dozen guys in a two-year period. Some of those picks were not so hot (Tommy McCarthy), but it did clear enough of the backlog so that the writers could focus on a select number of players. As a result (and thanks to voting every year again), there was a 10-year period where the BBWAA voting went relatively smoothly, and on average two guys were elected every year.

Then they screwed it up again...

"Journalism" is such a shit industry full of self-righteous out of touch dick heads...of that group sports writers are the worst...of that group baseball writers are the worst.

Yes, although you forgot "self-promoting."

Thankfully.

So basically he pulled this little protest last year, but no one paid attention since last year's voting was one huge mess of personal protests, so he's doing it again this year when it will get more attention, then abstaining in the future.

bunch of Braves fans with their panties in a wad acting like this is blasphemy.

I'm a Braves fan, but being a fan of the Braves has nothing to do with this. At least it doesn't for me. My problem is with a voter not including Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, OR Greg Maddux with the only rationale seemingly being that no player, including Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson, has ever been unanimous selection. How can you look at a HOF ballot that includes Willie Mays and not vote for him?

That is what led to the formation of the first (or technically second, I guess) Veterans Committee, which then inducted about two dozen guys in a two-year period. Some of those picks were not so hot (Tommy McCarthy)...

I played little league growing up with a kid who was like the great grandson of a George Kelly, a Hall of Famer, and as a result he and his family got to go to Cooperstown every single year as like a VIP and meet all the new inductees and get autographs. I was always insanely jealous. Then a few years ago I read an article naming George Kelly as the single worst player in the Hall of Fame.

I'm a Braves fan, but being a fan of the Braves has nothing to do with this. At least it doesn't for me. My problem is with a voter not including Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, OR Greg Maddux with the only rationale seemingly being that no player, including Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson, has ever been unanimous selection. How can you look at a HOF ballot that includes Willie Mays and not vote for him?

Already answered. See below.

baseball purists tend to be donks

I played little league growing up with a kid who was like the great grandson of a George Kelly, a Hall of Famer, and as a result he and his family got to go to Cooperstown every single year as like a VIP and meet all the new inductees and get autographs. I was always insanely jealous. Then a few years ago I read an article naming George Kelly as the single worst player in the Hall of Fame.

Of course being the worst hall of famer is like banging the ugliest playmate. Doesn't matter got mine :)

High Pockets Kelly made the Hall of Fame in 1973, a direct result of Frank Frisch's reign of terror as chairman of the Veterans Committee. He's probably the worst position player in the Hall; for pitchers, I might go with Rube Marquard or maybe Jesse Haines.

All three of them were picks made by the Frisch-era VC.

Baseball HOF voters are truly living out a Revenge of the Nerds...

Douchebags like this guy in LA should be stripped of their vote and beaten up and given a swirlie.

The fact that there was even talk of Glavine not getting in on the first try is utterly ridiculous. Fuck Jack Morris too. (ok that last part was my Braves homerism)

Baseball HOF voters are truly living out a Revenge of the Nerds...

Douchebags like this guy in LA should be stripped of their vote and beaten up and given a swirlie.

The fact that there was even talk of Glavine not getting in on the first try is utterly ridiculous. Fuck Jack Morris too. (ok that last part was my Braves homerism)

I was waiting for you to post on this thread and spell Maddux "Maddox." :thumbsup:

Oh man, they're talking about integrity. I'd love to hear more about the integrity of existing Hall of Famers.

Back