• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HOF Results out tomorrow - Maddux not unanimous?

ku-xlarge.jpg

You know what? That's a damn solid ballot. I gotta agree with LeBatard here. He made his point and turned in a solid ballot.

Also, thanks, deadspin, for confirming what most know: fans are, collectively, pretty smart people. That is why the "Oh, Heavens yes" men of the world shouldn't get away with what they're doing.

ku-xlarge.jpg

You know what? That's a damn solid ballot. I gotta agree with LeBatard here. He made his point and turned in a solid ballot.

Also, thanks, deadspin, for confirming what most know: fans are, collectively, pretty smart people. That is why the "Oh, Heavens yes" men of the world shouldn't get away with what they're doing.

That would have been my ballot, except I'd have voted for Raines instead of Edgar. I think Edgar belongs in, but he'd of been 11th on my list.

ku-xlarge.jpg

if anyone still needs a clue that the BBWAA is behind the times, note how the email address is an AOL account and the ballot can only be mailed or faxed

His RC is 1990. That's a big part of the problem. I ran a sports card shop part time as a hobby with my son from 1990-1994....just after collecting had been getting all the rave reviews as an investment in the 1980s. When it became so popular as a result of the PR, the card companies started turning out a bazillion more cards. It probably started as early as 1987, but by 1990 there were so many cards being printed that their value was heavily damaged. I've still got many cases of wax and tens of thousands of individual cards stored away in case the values improve.....but there are just so many cards out there from 1988 on that I have my doubts those cards will ever amount to all that much. Fortunately, I do have quite a few of the older RCs & sets that I bought from people coming into my shop wanting to sell. And, of course, there are exceptions, as the card companies started coming out with more & more special, gimmick cards in addition to the regular ones. Like with everything else in this country, money & greed eventually ruined it. Kids used to collect cards to make complete sets, etc... Then it got to the point where they were just opening packs hoping to get one of the special insert cards.

First time I've agreed with you on a sports topic in a long time. I kept a rolled up baseball Beckett in my back pocket every where I went until I hit puberty

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

id have raines and moose instead of egar and schill.

@LeBatardShow
Max penalty: BBWAA just lifetime banned me from Hall of Fame vote and won't allow me to attend a game as credentialed media for a year.

The BBWAA Board of Directors has decided to remove Dan Le Batard’s membership for one year, for transferring his Hall of Fame ballot to an entity that has not earned voting status. The punishment is allowed under the organization’s constitution.

In addition, Le Batard will not be allowed to vote on Hall of Fame candidates from this point on.

The BBWAA regards Hall of Fame voting as the ultimate privilege, and any abuse of that privilege is unacceptable.

-BBWAA President La Velle E. Neal III
January 9, 2014

lol

4 more votes for Clemens than Bonds. I understand (though disagree) how somebody could not vote for either one, but how the hell do you justify a vote for Clemens and not Bonds?

They could favor pitchers or be racists.

The BBWAA Board of Directors has decided to remove Dan Le Batard’s membership for one year, for transferring his Hall of Fame ballot to an entity that has not earned voting status. The punishment is allowed under the organization’s constitution.

In addition, Le Batard will not be allowed to vote on Hall of Fame candidates from this point on.

The BBWAA regards Hall of Fame voting as the ultimate privilege, and any abuse of that privilege is unacceptable.

-BBWAA President La Velle E. Neal III
January 9, 2014

lol

Anyone who voted for Jacque Jones should not be allowed to vote from this point on.

Dear Mr. Neal

Dan LeBatard acted irresponsibly and deserved some punishment. You went way too far.

What makes your LeBatard decision is that you acted in a cowardly manner in not rescinding the vote of the writers who said they wouldn't vote for anyone who played during the so called "Steroid Era". This is far more of an attack on the Hall of Fame than acting childishly once. These people have arrested, indicted, convicted and executed thousands of innocent players.

You should be ashamed that you acted in a knee jerk way towards Dan Lebatard but refused to step up for the others. There is no excuse for your cowardice.

With disdain,

That was my email to La Velle Neal. His email address is lneal@startribune.com

The BBWAA is such a bunch of bitchy little girls.

It's not like his ballot was a complete joke. I agree with every single selection.

if anyone still needs a clue that the BBWAA is behind the times, note how the email address is an AOL account and the ballot can only be mailed or faxed

Also, I feel like a hall of fame ballot should be a little more than something I can print out on my home computer. Maybe a Notary Block at least.

Dear Mr. Neal

Dan LeBatard acted irresponsibly and deserved some punishment. You went way too far.

What makes your LeBatard decision is that you acted in a cowardly manner in not rescinding the vote of the writers who said they wouldn't vote for anyone who played during the so called "Steroid Era". This is far more of an attack on the Hall of Fame than acting childishly once. These people have arrested, indicted, convicted and executed thousands of innocent players.

You should be ashamed that you acted in a knee jerk way towards Dan Lebatard but refused to step up for the others. There is no excuse for your cowardice.

With disdain,

That was my email to La Velle Neal. His email address is lneal@startribune.com

his response:

"The e-mail of the day.

Voters who are still trying to define the steroid era are acting on any information they can. And they have that right. It’s a vote, and there’s been no directives given as to how handle those players.

Just because you want them in doesn’t mean were wrong, or cowards. Le Batard went way too far and had to be punished. If he wanted the system changed he should have done so from within.

Trust me, the majority of voters take this process extremely seriously."

My response to him:

I was very clear. I wasn't talking about Bonds, Clemens or anyone who has a cloud overt their careers. I'm talking about the people who say NO player who played during this period will ever get their vote. This is heinous, lazy and even more disrespectful than what LeBatard did.

This is much more of an insult to baseball and the Hall of Fame. It is very wrong in America to convict everyone without a trial or even being accused.

It's incomprehensible to me that you can justify throwing thousands of totally innocent players under the bus.

You are being far more irresponsible than LeBatard.

By the way, I have little to no professional respect for him.

Oh man, that poor bastard has no idea what he's in for getting in an e-battle with rjmuthafuckinkarl. Go get 'em, Ricky!

Ask him what rule Lebatard broke? He still filled out his own ballot, signed his name and sent it in. Does any voter that solicits help run the risk of getting his vote taken away? What about the voter that admitted that he asked for help from his readers in the past?

Let's all help RJ.

Rj, seriously, you should email that mofo every single day for the next year and give him the business. Like one email every day whether he responds or not. Let him know you will not be ignored.

Back