• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home-Road Volatility

I'm pretty drunk tonight but these numbers make less sense than usual. Buzz still sucks, right?

Appreciate the numbers man.

You always could've PM'd me and asked for my info haha.

Seems to me to be about right. Fans always tend to overestimate their team sucking/doing well and tend to fill in details where they aren't clear on the facts with info that backs up their pre-conceived notions.

The bads have been very bad for us on the road and we tend to dismiss the games we have overperformed on the road because most feel that we should be better than we are and not have to worry about "over-achieving" to keep it within two points against Richmond. That's more of a mental obstacle than anything because we are where we are (yet ammo for those that want to talk about how far we have fallen, which is a very valid argument).

KP opened my eyes when he asked how we compared against the spread the past three years in road games. I still suspect that we have done poorly, primarily because in 2010 we lost nearly every road game by 15+ points and I remember the lines for most of those games was under 10 before people realized how much we really sucked. However, we probably haven't been a statistical aberration on the road based on expectations going into most of the games.

TL;DR....We are just bad at basketball and the eye test, statistics, and everything else just reinforces that conception.

Last edited:
It's not like we're some juggernaut at home. State played awful against us and Duke was sans Kelly. Yes, we looked sharp, but those games were the exception rather than the rule.

Hmm, dook pummeled FSU on the road. Did Kelly play there?

Here is the frustrating thing about this team, we have

Iona
Neb
Clemson
GT
MD

Debacles (did I miss one?)

Then we have the narrow misses that could have been W's

UConn
Richmond
VT
SH
dook

Scary to think that if everything had gone right in those 5 games we'd be 15-6. Of course we could have lost Mercer, W-M as we had to scramble to win those. Some will argue about BC, UVA and State, but having a double digit lead in the second half and and holding on I wouldn't classify in the same bucket of games as Mercer and W-M.

When we are bad we are really bad, but event with that the team has enough talent to be close to being decent. Flame away.

Transitive property doesn't work in sports, sweet tart.

What transitive property. The guy says our close game against dook is degraded because Kelly was out. Dook with out Kelly crushes FSU on the road.

Do I need to explain it for you? dook is not a terrible team without Kelly. They are still a top 25 team, an NCAA team, probably not a top 10 team.

How's that sweet tart?

What transitive property. The guy says our close game against dook is degraded because Kelly was out. Dook with out Kelly crushes FSU on the road.

Do I need to explain it for you? dook is not a terrible team without Kelly. They are still a top 25 team, an NCAA team, probably not a top 10 team.

How's that sweet tart?

Respect the moral victory, DAMMIT.!!!!1111!!11!!11!!1

How's that sweet tart?

What Duke did against Florida State has nothing to do with what Duke did against us with the same roster.

Do you understand the concept of the transitive property? Or are you just a moron?

Bless your heart, sugar plum.

What Duke did against Florida State has nothing to do with what Duke did against us with the same roster.

Do you understand the concept of the transitive property? Or are you just a moron?

Bless your heart, sugar plum.

Maybe you should learn what the transitive property is. Sugar plum.

Maybe you should learn what the transitive property is. Sugar plum.

Bless your heart.

[SIZE=+1]Transitive Property of Equality[/SIZE]
The following property: If a = b and b = c, then a = c. One of the equivalence properties of equality.
Note: This is a property of equality and inequalities. One must be cautious, however, when attempting to develop arguments using the transitive property in other settings.​
Here is an example of an unsound application of the transitive property: "Team A defeated team B, and team B defeated team C. Therefore, team A will defeat team C."

If you believe the underlined, then you're a fucking idiot.

I wholeheartedly expect us to blow out FSu at home now. If Duke sans Kelly can walk all over them then so can we. I expect Mckie to shut down Snear

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat FSU. I also wouldn't be surprised if they beat us. Leonard Hamilton is one tough guy and normally that attitude is instilled in his team. If that's the case then I can see us crumbling.

Glad this thread led to the type of discussion I was looking for.

I really think the differences between good coaching and bad coaching are most apparent when watching road v. home games.

in home games you have the crowd on your side and you have a familiar arena. these make up for a lack of coaching.

in road games you need coaches who believe in you, can make changes, and have taught you to follow a system in the face of adversity.

on a side note, does dv7 have to be a prick all the time?

Guys, guys, guys....losing on the road is a problem all across the country. Just look at other ACC teams who are also losing on the road. It's not a Wake Forest problem, it's a college basketball problem.

Signed,

Ron Wellman

The first thing I think of when we play on the road is, man do we suck. The second thing I think is, wow how bad is Virginia Tech.

after today in acc games we are:

+5.4 at home
-17.7 on the road

Back