• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Security for the DIYer

Deadbolt

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea lately of setting up a DIY home security/home automation system at my house. I have zero interest in the ADT's and CPI's of the world (not a fan of the contracts and monthly fees).

I've been waiting to see how the reviews for the Canary (http://store.canary.is/) system look when it is finally released, but has anyone else here set up something in their house that they'd be willing to share their experience with?

I purchased my system outright, but had it installed by the alarm company. I chose that route other than ADT/CPI and have been happy with it. I can add monitoring for something like $6 a month if I'd like, but never have.

If you have a small penis, a large handgun is always a good option.

Get a guard dog.

giphy.gif

I've been toying with the idea lately of setting up a DIY home security/home automation system at my house. I have zero interest in the ADT's and CPI's of the world (not a fan of the contracts and monthly fees).

I've been waiting to see how the reviews for the Canary (http://store.canary.is/) system look when it is finally released, but has anyone else here set up something in their house that they'd be willing to share their experience with?

Gerhard Pawelka (CEO) looks just like Peter Gregory from Silicon Valley. RIP

I use Dropcams. With a little work you can configure them to notify you of relevant activity. There is a cost for the video recording service, but on the whole I think it works well.

canary looks cool but 250 for one camera? Cant you get multiple cameras for ~100 that you can view on your phone?

canary looks cool but 250 for one camera? Cant you get multiple cameras for ~100 that you can view on your phone?

I was intrigued by the Canary for it's all in one package functionality, but individual cams are an option. Those seem pretty pricey too, though.

I purchased my system outright, but had it installed by the alarm company. I chose that route other than ADT/CPI and have been happy with it. I can add monitoring for something like $6 a month if I'd like, but never have.

So without the monitoring, what happens? The alarm just goes off and everyone ignores it?

Yeah, WTF is the point of cameras when you are dead and robbed, the neighbors are annoyed with the sound but no one is coming.

My ADT or whatever came with the house but its ridiculously cheap, like $120 a year, there's no contract. You'd could get 10 years of that coverage with what it will cost you to install and maintain what will probably be an inferior system.

burglars are like "yo, this house is probably not monitored, so we should ignore that alarm

So without the monitoring, what happens? The alarm just goes off and everyone ignores it?

I'm surrounded by family, including my gun toting grandparents and retired father who can easily hear it. If a car drives down my driveway when we're not around, they're over there within a minute on their ATV checking it out. We've debated getting it monitored for some time, but just never have.

Most (and probably all) security systems are monitored by the security company. They try multiple times to call you and then, if they don't reach you, they (probably) call the police. Any burglar worth his salt is long gone by then. Cameras that have the ability to record, take photos and notify you immediately via text or iPhone notification of activity (movement in defined areas or noise), let you see in almost real time what is going on and immediately call the police if needed. It's not perfect, but neither is traditional security "monitoring." Combine this with motion sensors, Wemo lights and some IFTTT magic, and I submit you have a pretty good system. If someone comes up the road to my place, you're on camera, video is recorded, I get a photo and a notification, and if it's dark lights come on in one or two rooms in the house. I think that's at least comparable to "monitored" security, but cheaper. And more nerdy, which is also a plus.

I have been happy with SimpliSafe plus a couple Foscam cameras. The pros of SimpliSafe are that you own the equipment, there is no contractual commitment (though of course, after you've invested in the equipment, are you really going to leave?), and most importantly (to me anyway) the system uses a cellular connection. No one has a land line anymore. Plus, land line connections are much more vulnerable (snip snip) than cellular connections.

I have some Foscams, they work great. I wouldn't be comfortable with a third party having access to cams in my house.
Door/window security I use Carolina Alarm, you pay for the equipment and install, and then the monitoring service itself is fairly cheap.
You can also buy your own equipment and install it your self and still use their monitoring service.

Back