• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Security for the DIYer

Jesus, y'all, get creative.

sS1yUv3.gif

f2RtmjG.gif

REYDObC.gif

W0sRoFb.gif

0gO2yUI.gif

I have some Foscams, they work great. I wouldn't be comfortable with a third party having access to cams in my house.
Door/window security I use Carolina Alarm, you pay for the equipment and install, and then the monitoring service itself is fairly cheap.
You can also buy your own equipment and install it your self and still use their monitoring service.

Do the Foscams do motion detection? Or do you do the subscription?

In addition to Home Alone I think there are many good ideas from The X-Files episode "Home" (s4e2) you should consider, like in-bred mutants who plant booby traps

What are people paying per month for monitoring? Always seemed really expensive to me.

I pay $300/yr for cellular monitoring. If you roll your own system over a landline you can get like $9/mo.

sending this BTTT - I am tired of ADT so I'm not transferring them to my new house. If I could get $10/month monitoring from someone fine, but TAB's experience doesn't sound like mine. I was paying about $40/month and ADT was a pain in the ass.

1. How much are people paying for monitoring? I'm in Charlotte - not out in the country.
2. If I go with my own system, what has worked for you? I don't have a landline but I do have internet and cellular access.

Simplisafe is $20 a month for equivalent monitoring to what I used to have with CPI at a previous house.

Just follow your neighbors' racist posts on Nextdoor. Then you'll know when brown people are anywhere near your car.

We use a local company that just reprogrammed the already installed ADT system that was in the house. $20/ month, maybe?

Back