• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hot Secretary, Get the President on the Phone. I Just Got Tired of Paying Taxes

I hate it, because he's one of my favorite posters, but Milhouse is wrong as hell on this thread.

As someone else mentioned, tax vs book accounting is boring and esoteric as hell but the temporary disparity can be so glaring that it looks like a huge red flag to joe the plumber so it gets huge political traction.

ONW starts this same exact thread multiple times a year, usually in response to some article's insightful analysis of GE "paying no taxes" per review of their SEC filings. Chris has to post the same responses so often that he should save a document of cut/paste posts similar to what bkf must refer to every time someone brings up Howard Dean.

ONW starts this same exact thread multiple times a year, usually in response to some article's insightful analysis of GE "paying no taxes" per review of their SEC filings. Chris has to post the same responses so often that he should save a document of cut/paste posts similar to what bkf must refer to every time someone brings up Howard Dean.

Bi-annually, thank you. Claiming poor people "pay no taxes" doesn't get huge political traction?

I don't think all accountants are evil bastards, but let's not pretend they are the guardians at the gate of financial transparency for the good of the masses. The reforms after the S&L crisis didn't prevent Enron, and the reforms after Enron didn't prevent the sub-prime/mortgage crisis. Eventually, those reforms won't prevent the impending student loan crisis because really smart lawyers, investment bankers, and accountants can figure out the next new way around them, get rich, and disappear by the time the smoke clears.

Accounting for the sake of accurately reviewing, analyzing, and relaying information is a good thing, but trusting that information requires confidence in its messenger.

Business is complex. Law is complex. I am sure the research you did to obtain your PhD couldn't be easily explained to the average layperson in a quick soundbite.

And I understand that this is an area that is easily exploited by demogogues like Trump and Sanders.

I wonder how close "Dems good, Pubs bad" would come.

because the cheating and corruption hasn't stopped and the rich keep getting richer?

do you have any real arguments otherwise? ph was right that you are like elkman on the gun thread.

because the cheating and corruption hasn't stopped and the rich keep getting richer?

do you have any real arguments otherwise? ph was right that you are like elkman on the gun thread.

No system is absolutely full-proof. Human beings are falliable.

The rich (and everybody else who invests) getting richer? That's kind of the goal of capitalism.

You really are grossly misinformed. I can see why Sanders appeals to you so.

Last edited:
it hard for people to be willing to look at the whole picture when their livelihood depends on a money stream.

you're blinded by smug self importance. sorry.

it hard for people to be willing to look at the whole picture when their livelihood depends on a money stream.

you're blinded by smug self importance. sorry.

No, it is you that is blinded by smug self importance. You think you have something figured out when you really don't have a clue what you are talking about.

sorry.

shockingly the "fixes" implemented by bean counter crooks to correct the problems caused by bean counter crooks haven't worked.

you disagree with that somehow which makes you a moron. sorry.

what makes you think accounting is different from all other self serving professions? that's the really weird thing about this whole thing.

shockingly the "fixes" implemented by bean counter crooks to correct the problems caused by bean counter crooks haven't worked.

you disagree with that somehow which makes you a moron. sorry.

what makes you think accounting is different from all other self serving professions? that's the really weird thing about this whole thing.

So what is your solution? Companies don't get audited? Just get rid of accounting all together? Most people seem to think that both serve a purpose. The people who are actually putting their money on the line.

Not really concerned about my revenue stream. Accounting and tax collection are as old as time. Both have gotten more sophisticated along with everything else in life.

Financial information is significantly more reliable than it was 50 or 100 years ago, so your suggestion that the fixes haven't worked are as misinformed as all of your other opinions on this subject.

Last edited:
ah i see the problem now. your reading comprehension skills suck.

This is the dumbest thread on the boards. So dumb that I just can't look away.

Same. Unfortunately, his responses are similar to elkman on the gun thread. Hiding behind jargon.

On the gun thread at least people put forward suggestions. I haven't seen any proposed fixed that are substantive, just wide sweeping criticisms.

Back