• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hotel vs. Airbnb

Hotel vs. Airbnb

• Hotel

• Airbnb

• Other

• doofus/numbers

Results are only viewable after voting.
depends on the situation, but I used to try to airbnbs in interesting areas for work, but have shifted back to hotels

for larger groups and certain destinations, airbnb will always be the better option

with family, I'll go airBnB first. AirBnB/VRBO exclusively for a family vacation where we'll be somewhere for a few days if we want some downtime where we're staying.

When it's just me, I usually go hotel, unless the location is more conducive to AirBnB

When we're staying somewhere a bit longer or want/need a kitchen, we'll do VRBO/AirBnB. We're heading to Greece/Italy in a month and opted for hotels with the expectation that the hotel staff can help with making reservations for dinners/tours/transportation and we don't intend to cook any of our own meals.

It just depends. With young kids, I find that AirBnB is often more convenient - more space, ability to get some groceries / snacks for the house, etc. Traveling alone or without the kids and I'm team hotel.

depends; i've never had one of these AirBNB/Verbo horror stories but we're usually renting an entire house and it seems more like the smaller rentals have those problems

prefer hotels for cities/dense travel locales

So ex-MS Windy booked an AirBNB for 51 days becasue the kid is playing collegiate Summer Ball on the other side of the state. He went and checked in yesterday and was REALLY uncomfortable about the nighborhood being super sketchy (West Palm). they cancelled it and the proprieter was very cool about it.

The biggest challenge i have with the AirBNB is that. Just not knowing the neighborhood area you are getting. We had the same issue with one we booked in Durham a few years ago.

Anyone know a way around this ?

you don't get the actual address but every time i've booked a vrbo you get a location map of the general area

I much prefer an AirBnB/VRBO for vacation for a number of reasons. Exact location I want to be in (often these are not areas with many (or any) decent hotels), larger living space, washer/dryer, outdoor space/rooftop deck, and typically cheaper. Have used AirBbB and VRBO a lot internationally and it's always been great.

So ex-MS Windy booked an AirBNB for 51 days becasue the kid is playing collegiate Summer Ball on the other side of the state. He went and checked in yesterday and was REALLY uncomfortable about the nighborhood being super sketchy (West Palm). they cancelled it and the proprieter was very cool about it.

The biggest challenge i have with the AirBNB is that. Just not knowing the neighborhood area you are getting. We had the same issue with one we booked in Durham a few years ago.

Anyone know a way around this ?
Besides the obvious google maps, read the reviews. Usually you can get a feel for the neighborhood if your unfamiliar with the city/neighborhoods.

AirBNB for long (week plus) baseball roadtrips so we could bring the dog and put up my stepson's dad in the same house as the rest of us. Hotel's for everything else

Yep...you read that right.

Back