• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Household Expenditures

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I am constantly amazed at how much my household spends per month. Just my basics that have to be paid every month approach (mortgage, utilities, cell, insurance, gas, food) about $3200. But then there is about another 1K that is spent that is hard to account for (ok not hard just not tracked carefully).

If my parents knew this they would probably think we were insane since their generation was so tight fisted. We certainly do not live in a McMansion just a 2400 sq ft house, but man everything (especially food) seems way more expensive that it used to be. I know most will say wages have not kept up with inflation.

Am I alone in being amazed by what it costs to live these days or maybe shocked is a better word?

Last edited:
I am constantly amazed at how much my household spends per month. Just my basics that have to be paid every month approach (mortgage, utilities, cell, insurance, gas, food) about $3200. But then there is about another 1K that is spent that is hard to account for (ok not hard just not tracked carefully).

If my parents knew this they would probably think we were insane since their generation was so tight fisted. We certainly do not live in a McMansion just a 2400 sq ft house, but man everything (especially food) seems way more expensive that it used to be. I know most will say wages have not kept up with inflation.

Am I alone in being amazed or maybe shocked is a better word?

Nice not so #humblebrag

Do you have kids? I've found that food, diapers, health care, education costs have really increased our spending.

I track our spending really closely, mostly using Mint. The thing that always amazes me is the groceries. $1,100/month for food/diapers in a four person household. A large chunk of that is my wife getting much more health-conscious now that we have kids.

I am completely shocked by it and our numbers are way bigger than you mention... I really don't know how it gets there. And, like you, we live in a very humble house... We also drive old, crappy cars. Where does it all go!!?

Last time we refi'd we took 10 years off the mortgage. Though it will save us well over six figures in the long run, short term I wish I had the extra few hundred a month.

2400 is a fairly big house unless it's a chopped up floor plan.

I track our spending really closely, mostly using Mint. The thing that always amazes me is the groceries. $1,100/month for food/diapers in a four person household. A large chunk of that is my wife getting much more health-conscious now that we have kids.

Shiiiiit. We are a 4 person household that spends $400-500 every month on that stuff. But we also make all our own bread and any type of ground meat(awesome sausage for 2.25/lb from Costco pork shoulders, sucka), which is healthy and saves money. Rarely go out to eat and baby, I've got a thrifty-ass stew goin'.

I'm not nearly as tight-fisted as I used to be, but I think it's because I'm making more (I don't mean that as a brag, just fact). It's easier to drop $20-50 without thinking because I know it's there/it'll be replenished, whereas I used to stop and really consider every single purchase. I still do to an extent, but the threshold is higher. I don't think we spend THAT much or live really frivolously, but there are a lot of unplanned/unbudgeted expenses that really add up over the course of the month.

I'm thankful that because of my travel, my wife budgets/pays our bills. I'm too frightened to want to know how much discretionary spending is made in my house.

2400 sq ft is considered huge? News to me. Seems an acceptable, average sized family home.

Am I alone in being amazed by what it costs to live these days or maybe shocked is a better word?

A 1200sqft house rents for more than that. You've got it good.

Grocery stores are really starting to get expensive. I only buy things at the Teeter on good specials. I go to Walmart more for canned/dry goods, paper products, etc. even though I hate shopping there. Summer is much more cost effective because of my garden. I have started grinding my one ground chuck because I can find chuck roast for around $2/lb and ground beef is starting to be over $4/lb. Fresh ground also tastes better. Things do seem to be getting expensive but I have also entered cost cutting mode in hopes of retiring for good in 2018. I also wouldn't say $3200 a month for a family is out of hand.

Also things your parents didn't pay for include:

cell phone plans with data.
cable TV
internet service
eating out several times a week (not sure if you do this but they probably didn't)

Well James Rickards thinks the dollar is going to collapse 80-90%.

Yeah, the cell phone bills and internet/cable are why hurt. That's $200 right there. Gross.

A 1200sqft house rents for more than that. You've got it good.

That's because I still live in a small southern town and its not a destination point but its where my business is, so I won't be leaving until retirement.

I also still drive a 1997 F-150 and my wife in a 2000 Jetta. We haven't had a car payment in 15 years. All the extra dough goes to retirement and I sure hope I am here for it.

It just feels like everything all of a sudden is 20% higher than it was 5 years ago. Food is the main killer IMHO as it seems everything is $1 or more per item at the grocery store. Hell even a lime was a buck today and yes I know about the shortage.

Back