• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Household Expenditures

to buy a house in my neighborhood similar to what i rent i'd be looking at $200k down and a mortgage+taxes at at least $4,500 a month. i save over a grand a month renting and put it in a brokerage account. i miss out on the mortgage interest deduction which is the biggest place where it would be beneficial. i also could pick up and move at any time and i don't have to worry about my rent increasing.

Bay Area real estate is stupid. I was in Noe Valley visiting my SIL/BIL a few weeks back and they just moved from a ~700 sqft place into a 2 bedroom. Their old place underwent some mild renovations and the landlord turned it around for like $5200 / month.

Having to commute in a car is expensive these days. $3.75 a gallon is painful and is the reason for the increased prices in food and what not.

Eating out kills budgets. I love to eat out (obvi) but it is a drain on your finances, especially these days when you're gonna be out at least $10, $15 on a decent lunch.

We want to build, but being free of a mortgage payment is very attractive...and we only really need the extra space for 8-10 more years. Not sure I want the debt, upkeep, and larger utility bills for the long term when our space issue is temporary. If we build in this land, we are there until the end.

I figured I'd be where we are until the end, but now I find myself not wanting to stay here until the end. We are out in the suburbs and live on a small lake. I always figured that would be enough. However we just spent 4 days in Savannah in a 600 sq ft carriage house and loved every minute of it. I now find myself longing for something (possibly in Savannah) smaller with less upkeep.

Eating healthy can be expensive if you don't plan it well, but it's not hard to control costs if you stick to quality foods in reasonable portion sizes. Eating processed junk with cartoon characters on the box (which kids flock to) kills you. If you say no to that high fructose corn syrup trade-marked crap, you can keep things reasonable and healthy. We stick to organic things where we actually eat the exterior of the product (spinach, apples, etc.) and buy regular bananas and most proteins.

A garden is the best way to get quality food you can trust and you don't need much space. Potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, basil, okra and squash all do well in containers, but it takes practice. The main thing I've had to do is maximize sunlight in our shaded lot and fight off predators (bird, rabbits and squirrels). I've started making five-sided cubes covered in chicken wire as a way to keep out furry things.

Eating healthy can be expensive if you don't plan it well, but it's not hard to control costs if you stick to quality foods in reasonable portion sizes. Eating processed junk with cartoon characters on the box (which kids flock to) kills you. If you say no to that high fructose corn syrup trade-marked crap, you can keep things reasonable and healthy. We stick to organic things where we actually eat the exterior of the product (spinach, apples, etc.) and buy regular bananas and most proteins.

A garden is the best way to get quality food you can trust and you don't need much space. Potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, basil, okra and squash all do well in containers, but it takes practice. The main thing I've had to do is maximize sunlight in our shaded lot and fight off predators (bird, rabbits and squirrels). I've started making five-sided cubes covered in chicken wire as a way to keep out furry things.

A cube needs 6 facets. You're WRONG.

Seriously, though, my girlfriends parents use a mini electric fence to keep out the undesirables.

A cube needs 6 facets. You're WRONG.

Seriously, though, my girlfriends parents use a mini electric fence to keep out the undesirables.

Bro, the ground acts as the 6th side.

azdY1uc.jpg

What he said. Gravity brah.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Back