• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How concerned are you about the climate impacts your child will witness or experience?

How concerned are you about the climate impacts your child will witness or experience?

• Extremely concerned

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Very concerned

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Somewhat concerned

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Not that concerned

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Not at all concerned

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters

Kory

Reaction score
Lotta parents on these here boards -- curious how often y'all think about this issue.

Know two couples well who give this as their reason they're not having kids.

Reference link

I'm more sad than "concerned," but I picked extremely concerned. There are days when I feel bad for having kids given the state of the world they are inheriting.

I think about it a lot. I live in Colorado so the impact of climate change is pretty visible in day to day life as it pertains to things like wildfires and water levels in the state. I can't say I fault your friends.

I voted very concerned, and I think about it in terms of policy and sadness for the future and if something happens that reminds us of the fragility of human life on earth, but if I’m honest, I don’t dwell on it much daily. There are so many more immediate concerns that are individual and personal and seem manageable that have to do with my kids health, safety, and future, that aside from a looming existential dread, it doesn’t get much of my daily attention.

I don't agree with the idea that you shouldn't have kids because of climate impacts, and I work on the issue. There was a good quote from a Holocaust survivor that I read once that basically said, we saw the worst of what humans are willing to do to each other, and then we watched them develop weapons that could destroy the world. Experiences were dark and future was uncertain and they still chose to have kids. The odds are in your favor that your children will learn from your experiences and be part of the solution.

It wasn’t the sole reason we decided not to have kids but it definitely contributed.
Same. Our main reasons for not having kids are enough, but they're definitely compounded by climate change.

Reactions: WRS
This is also a poll that is massively weighted based on socioeconomic status. I would venture to guess that the folks on this forum have a lot less to worry about because of generational wealth and systemic advantages.
I mean, if the gulf stream collapses in 2050 your generational wealth is going to look pretty useless.

Media articles highlighting a random climate study do more harm than good, see also nutritional studies, cancer, covid and so forth.

kinda more concerned with how people imagine/think about climate change viz their children (or potential children) than any argument about how bad it's actually going to be but I get that this is a hella contentious topic so

I'm more concerned with the repercussions of eroding education, belief in established science and public health, and proliferation of firearms for my children and grandchildren than climate changes. Big picture for the future of the planet, sure, but for my immediate family line? I'm much more fearful of the return of small pox and measles for kids who happen to dodge bullets long enough to worry about that.

Yes I'd like to take my Covid advice from Brad:

July 29, 2020 (cannot quote because the thread is locked/closed):

"Lulz - The Colonel is willing to give 5:1 odds that FL will not pass NY in total COVID deaths.

Ph and any others who believe "this is not out of the question"... now is your chance to profit from your opinion/prediction.

Here is your opportunity to step up and put your money where your mouth (or keyboard?) is"

Florida: 86,850
New York: 77,157

Of course Brad changed his argument a year later to say "what about age adjusted numbers?!"

I’m pretty concerned about the world in general, and climate change is part of that. I also kind of feel like life finds a way, but that feeling eroded post-Covid because all of the dumb fucks that it exposed.

Media articles highlighting a random climate study do more harm than good, see also nutritional studies, cancer, covid and so forth.
Yeah, that's fair. NPR had a much more balanced presentation of this story, but I grabbed that link off the tunnels. I don't know if the current will collapse soon, but it seems like a low but non-zero probability. So that leads me to think there is a non-zero probability that shit will be fucked up pretty soon. I had this belief for years that, though climate change was real, these droughts and collapsing iceshelfs and crop failures were going to happen sometime in the far-off future, but now we're looking at non-zero probabilities that in 2050 the world could be a wildly differently place. Makes me sad and anxious for my kids. I also agree with IAT though... My older child is a trans teen living in Florida, so, climate change is probably low on the list of imminent doom for him.

Back