• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How concerned are you about the climate impacts your child will witness or experience?

How concerned are you about the climate impacts your child will witness or experience?

• Extremely concerned

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Very concerned

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Somewhat concerned

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Not that concerned

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Not at all concerned

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
You seriously have top 5 angriest poster vibes going on.... Cookout and the gang do a hell of a job determining what is or isn't appropriate. I realize you are working hard to shoehorn an anti-republican take at every opportunity but this was misplaced.
Not at all angry, man. I did not mean to doxx anyone and I'm not criticizing, just making sure they are getting everything. I mean, you googled that post to find the name. Relax -- Jesus.

Last edited:
Not at all angry, man. I did not mean to doxx anyone and I'm not criticizing, just making sure they are getting everything. I mean, you googled that post to find the name. Relax -- Jesus.
Are you attributing the entire post to Jesus, or just the Relax part? I am not sure Jesus ever said any of that, but you could paraphrase a lot of his (and Buddha's) teachings down to "Relax, man."

I’d imagine there will be cooler summers but that over the next ten years the average summer temperature will be warmer than this summer
Not making an argument for or against global warming, but I'd take the other side of that bet on a purely statistical basis (assuming 2023 holds up as the "hottest summer on record").

Only tangentially related, but I remember having a conversation a few months ago about how it was taking forever for summer to get here this year. Our kids' swim team had way more cold mornings in May/June relative to the last couple of years... And then July/August came and have been brutal. But as stated earlier... It's probably a bad approach for either side of the debate to use individual weather events or heat waves / cold snaps to bolster their argument.

Do you really believe that?
It will probably end up incorrect, but we will also probably never again experience a summer as cool as we had ~10 years ago. I do expect that for now this year will look like a bit of an outlier year in the trend line because of El Nino, known to cause especially hot summers in North America...but 1998 was the worst El Nino up to that point and the truly outlier July heat records set that year have now been exceeded 11 times since then and nine years in a row and several of which were not El Nino years. So for a time we might look at 2023 as a hotter summer but 10 years from now it will no longer look like an outlier.

Not making an argument for or against global warming, but I'd take the other side of that bet on a purely statistical basis (assuming 2023 holds up as the "hottest summer on record").
So are you in favor of global warming or not ?

It will probably end up incorrect, but we will also probably never again experience a summer as cool as we had ~10 years ago. I do expect that for now this year will look like a bit of an outlier year in the trend line because of El Nino, known to cause especially hot summers in North America...but 1998 was the worst El Nino up to that point and the truly outlier July heat records set that year have now been exceeded 11 times since then and nine years in a row and several of which were not El Nino years. So for a time we might look at 2023 as a hotter summer but 10 years from now it will no longer look like an outlier.

That's more reasonable.

I’d imagine there will be cooler summers but that over the next ten years the average summer temperature will be warmer than this summer
Maybe. These kinds of comments and discussions show how difficult it is for people to understand climate, on a global and geological scale and timeframe, versus weather. We could be undergoing a global climate change right now that will warm the planet to a state warmer than it has been in the past and yet have cooler summers (weather) in North America in 5 out of the next 10 years, for instance. A year, or 5 years, or 10 years in less than nothing on a geological scale.

Maybe. These kinds of comments and discussions show how difficult it is for people to understand climate, on a global and geological scale and timeframe, versus weather. We could be undergoing a global climate change right now that will warm the planet to a state warmer than it has been in the past and yet have cooler summers (weather) in North America in 5 out of the next 10 years, for instance. A year, or 5 years, or 10 years in less than nothing on a geological scale.
Definitely get that overall and that things should be viewed at from a global change rather than specific area change. For instance, I'm sure that the USA has had cooler July's relative to its average over the last 30-40 years but I believe that the global temperature overall in July has been above the average every year since like 1980.

And not that this is "climate" overall but the first three weeks of July this year were the hottest three weeks ever on record period.

If anyone is interested in the current climate situation in Advance; it stormed and we lost power. Supposedly another 3 hours without power. Boo climate change related summer thunderstorms.

If anyone is interested in the current climate situation in Advance; it stormed and we lost power. Supposedly another 3 hours without power. Boo climate change related summer thunderstorms.

Surprised you don't have a generator out there.

I have access to a couple smaller ones, but they're only worth it if we'll be without for a few days. We don't lose power often enough to justify a permanent generator.

Yeah, the guy across the street from me has a generator and it cuts on every time we lose power on the street, which is not that frequent and rarely more than a few hours. On the other hand, the street didn't have power for weeks after Hurricane Hugo 34 years ago.

Back