• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How concerned are you about the climate impacts your child will witness or experience?

How concerned are you about the climate impacts your child will witness or experience?

• Extremely concerned

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Very concerned

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Somewhat concerned

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Not that concerned

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Not at all concerned

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
We have gone from global cooling in the 1970s to global warming in the 2000s to now the buzzword to cover it all: climate change.

Get a bad hurricane this fall? Climate change (don’t guess Hurricane Camille, a Category 5 in 1969, had a reason). Get 14 inches of snow here in January? That darned climate change caused it (I forget what caused the 1987 winter nor’easter).
I say this because Time Magazine had three covers in the 1970s that talked about the “Big Freeze.” One in 1973, the next in 1977 and the final cover in 1979, which said “The Cooling of America.”
Things suddenly changed in the 2000 — the political climate, I mean. The same Time Magazine had switched to global warming with a 2001 cover. Again in 2006 a cover was headlined “Special Report: Global Warming.” Then, finally in 2008, there was one about “How to Win the War on Global Warming.”

TV and print media have a special knack for blaming climate change for everything. New fungus in Seattle? Climate change. It’s 90 degrees in August? Climate change.

OK, we get it. When it gets to 25 degrees in January and we get some snow, our climate will have changed — to winter.

You can delete the word "waste" if you like but the resources used to collect taxes and distribute subsidies are clearly overhead.

To be fair, many ogboards.com posters have no idea what the term 'overhead' even means

I think Climate Change does a better job encompassing all the impacts of the current environmental issues. Obviously, on average, the global temperature is increasing (coming off the hottest recorded global month on record) but my understanding is an additional aspect of this is a higher variance with more volatility in both storms, cold/hot snaps, etc

To be fair, many ogboards.com posters have no idea what the term 'overhead' even means
It's hard to get into the details of overhead when one party is denying the problem even exists. We can't even agree at the most fundamental level so that we can then focus on how best to reduce overhead issues.

To the extent there are two sides to the Climate Change "debate", both are terrible at conflating weather with climate because most people are dumb and can't understand or contextualize extended time periods or mass amounts of data. So, it has to be explained to them in terms they understand and that means pointing to every weather event as an example, one way or the other, and it ends up undermining whatever point is trying to be made.

Addressing turftoe's point above, the vast majority of the scientific community believes climate change is happening and the data seems to indicate it is human-influenced. I am not smart enough nor do I have enough free time to devote to my own scientific research on the matter. But, when I look at the people most vociferously denouncing that climate change exists or that it isn't exacerbated by human activity, they are not people I want to find myself agreeing with. Just because there are dickweeds with agendas on each side doesn't mean one side isn't more right than another.

"Col Angus prefers getting his ass eaten out overhead"

did I get the definition right?

That sounds like something [redacted] of Advance, NC would say.
Sorry, mods, I don't know who that person is - just googled what Turftoe posted and that WS Journal article popped up. I can assume now that's it is one of a couple morons, but not sure who.

To the extent there are two sides to the Climate Change "debate", both are terrible at conflating weather with climate because most people are dumb and can't understand or contextualize extended time periods or mass amounts of data. So, it has to be explained to them in terms they understand and that means pointing to every weather event as an example, one way or the other, and it ends up undermining whatever point is trying to be made.

Addressing turftoe's point above, the vast majority of the scientific community believes climate change is happening and the data seems to indicate it is human-influenced. I am not smart enough nor do I have enough free time to devote to my own scientific research on the matter. But, when I look at the people most vociferously denouncing that climate change exists or that it isn't exacerbated by human activity, they are not people I want to find myself agreeing with. Just because there are dickweeds with agendas on each side doesn't mean one side isn't more right than another.

Yeah what do those 97% of scientists really know though when you've got a dude in Alabama doing his own research in his mother's basement?

A few weeks ago, my wife said, "This will be the coolest summer for the rest of our lives." I wish the science and policy folks framed it as simple as that.

Ok I get that you CAN piece together things and doxx a poster based on plenty of history/info already, but lets try to avoid that right now please and ty.

If that poster chooses to be an active participant of that thread, that's on him, but it's just a risky side-show otherwise.

Feels like a Florida schoolboard meeting up in here. If we're deleting posts, may want to delete the one that is easily googled to find the moronic board poster.

Feels like a Florida schoolboard meeting up in here. If we're deleting posts, may want to delete the one that is easily googled to find the moronic board poster.
You seriously have top 5 angriest poster vibes going on.... Cookout and the gang do a hell of a job determining what is or isn't appropriate. I realize you are working hard to shoehorn an anti-republican take at every opportunity but this was misplaced.

Back