• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How do you hold the steering wheel?

How do you hold the steering wheel typically?

• Both hands, 3:00-9:00 position like the drivers manual says

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Left hand holding the left of the wheel with your arm on the armrest

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Left hand holding the bottom of the wheel with your arm resting in your lap

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Either hand, holding the top of the wheel

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Either hand, draped over the top of the wheel like a 1980s boss man

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Both hands, but holding the wheel somewhere other than 3:00-9:00 position

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What does your manner of holding the wheel say about your personality, your anxiety level, your dedication to road safety, etc.?

usually at a relaxed 10-2 for city driving, but on longer drives usually switch to a right hand grip w/ my left arm on the window sill (or out the window, depending on the vehcle/AC situation). In the winter I switch off which hand is holding the wheel and sitting on the other hand to keep it warm. A heated steering wheel is on my wish list for sure.

3:00-9:00??? I was taught 10 and 2. Has that changed?

Sorry, I took Driver's Ed in the early 80s. The rules might have changed since then.

Actually, I fairly certain they switched it back to 9 & 3 about a year ago. My cousin had his learner's permit and was driving at 9 and 3. His parents were telling him that his hand position was wrong. He ended up pulling out the drivers' manual and showed us the new recommended position of 9 and 3. His older brother (by about 3 years) was taught 10 & 2.

Left hand on top of wheel, right hand on gear shift if in the city or on armrest if on highway.

I believe it switched back to 9 and 3 because that position is best for your arms if the air bag deploys

left hand at 8 o'clock or between 8 and 9 o'clock, right arm on armrest, right hand on shifter

With my knees while I talk on the phone and wolf down a sammich. Sometimes I put the phone down and use cruise control and my knees while I change shoes and pants on the way to the golf course.

How many people drive manual transmissions? At least wfudkn and hawk, it looks like.
I'd be curious to know. I've considered getting a manual next time around, because I really do enjoy it - plus, it's good practice for The Amazing Race.

Left hand at 7:30 and right arm on the center console.

If the window is open: right hand at 4:30 and left arm on the window.

Two hands for turns.

How many people drive manual transmissions? At least wfudkn and hawk, it looks like.
I'd be curious to know. I've considered getting a manual next time around, because I really do enjoy it - plus, it's good practice for The Amazing Race.

yeah manual here, also an SUV (XTerra). it's such a weird feeling whenever i drive an automatic

Right hand on the bottom of the wheel, left arm out the window.

count me in. so i usually just have the left hand draped lazily over top of the wheel and the right either on the armrest or on the shifter

Back