• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How do you hold the steering wheel?

How do you hold the steering wheel typically?

• Both hands, 3:00-9:00 position like the drivers manual says

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Left hand holding the left of the wheel with your arm on the armrest

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Left hand holding the bottom of the wheel with your arm resting in your lap

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Either hand, holding the top of the wheel

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Either hand, draped over the top of the wheel like a 1980s boss man

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Both hands, but holding the wheel somewhere other than 3:00-9:00 position

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How many people drive manual transmissions? At least wfudkn and hawk, it looks like.
I'd be curious to know. I've considered getting a manual next time around, because I really do enjoy it - plus, it's good practice for The Amazing Race.
I love my manual but it's impractical considering only one person in my household can drive it. It's probably my last :tear:

I'll never go back to driving an automatic. It sucks that my wife can't drive my car though, and I am done trying to teach her so she never will. This past weekend was the first time in probably 3 or 4 months that I drove my wife's car and it feels so weird for a while. I keep reaching for the shifter and trying to put my foot on the clutch. And though people bitch about how much of a pain it is to drive a stick in stop and go traffic, but I do it all the time and don't even notice.

How many people drive manual transmissions? At least wfudkn and hawk, it looks like.
I'd be curious to know. I've considered getting a manual next time around, because I really do enjoy it - plus, it's good practice for The Amazing Race.

manual

hey rico, ya fat bastard, hold those hands high enough on the wheel so your teen goth can get right down there snug in your christian crotch and blow to her black heart's content; or, in your case, for the 15 seconds required before you shudder and scream out in ashamed, orgasmic ecstasy: "boogity boogity!!"

I love my manual but it's impractical considering only one person in my household can drive it. It's probably my last :tear:

:squint:

lololololol mett can't drive stick

...less laughter from me, but more of a "wtf, really?"

I'll never go back to driving an automatic. It sucks that my wife can't drive my car though, and I am done trying to teach her so she never will. This past weekend was the first time in probably 3 or 4 months that I drove my wife's car and it feels so weird for a while. I keep reaching for the shifter and trying to put my foot on the clutch. And though people bitch about how much of a pain it is to drive a stick in stop and go traffic, but I do it all the time and don't even notice.

Stop and go traffic in a hilly place is the only time i've felt unnerved... and I would probably avoid somewhere like that if I were to get into a manual car right now, until I've had a couple weeks to get it back to second nature. It's unfortunate your wife can't learn.
I think the only reason I was able to learn so quickly was because I always played 'need for speed underground 2' on 'manual' so I understood shifting, and playing drums gave the coordination to pick up multiple movements from all limbs at the same time.

it's annoying driving in heavy traffic in a city at times, when people are right on your ass, and you might drift back when you start going. i do love it overall though. it was really fun taking the truck through rural maryland this weekend over hills and around curves.

it's annoying driving in heavy traffic in a city at times, when people are right on your ass, and you might drift back when you start going. i do love it overall though. it was really fun taking the truck through rural maryland this weekend over hills and around curves.

I still have flashback chills every now and then of the first time I drove a stick. I had been home form Wake for the weekend to pick up the car, and when I went back to school on Sunday afternoon I came to a stoplight almost at the top of the hill where 5th street crosses Liberty. At that point it hit me that when the light changes, I may roll this sumbitch all the way back down to Main Street, ..........except for the car that is now coming up on my bumper! Thank goodness no one was in front of me, b/c when the light changed I popped the clutch and let off the brake a split second later; I would have been on the trunk of anyone in front of me. From then on when coming from south of downtown I just stayed on Main until I could cut over where the grade was not so steep.

:squint:

...less laughter from me, but more of a "wtf, really?"

Stop and go traffic in a hilly place is the only time i've felt unnerved... and I would probably avoid somewhere like that if I were to get into a manual car right now, until I've had a couple weeks to get it back to second nature. It's unfortunate your wife can't learn.
I think the only reason I was able to learn so quickly was because I always played 'need for speed underground 2' on 'manual' so I understood shifting, and playing drums gave the coordination to pick up multiple movements from all limbs at the same time.

word. non-drummers just don't understand how much more advanced our limb independence is than theirs.

Drummers are just better all-around people, really. :D

This poll should be separate for stick vs auto drivers. Almost no true man has two hands on the wheel ever.

the only time i use two hands is when my bac is between .05 and .08 and i'm pretending to be an f-1 driver

I steer w/ my dick when I think about your mom

My exact option wasn't up there, but it is "Right hand holding the bottom of the wheel with your arm resting in your lap" Sometimes I like to think about how I am operating a machine traveling at 75+ mph with only two fingers and a thumb when I put on the cruise control for long trips.

My exact option wasn't up there, but it is "Right hand holding the bottom of the wheel with your arm resting in your lap" Sometimes I like to think about how I am operating a machine traveling at 75+ mph with only two fingers and a thumb when I put on the cruise control for long trips.

That's how I drive on the highway except left hand holding the bottom and right hand in the lap.

I'm hoping that my next car is manual. I really like my parents diesel Golf.

I would guess 75% of this board has never driven a car with manual transmission.

tumblr_mk31vklp5O1s9n4cro1_500.gif

Back