• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How far has our program fallen?

Agreed. Nearly everyone has checked out on the program. Dreams of bringing in an instant impact coach are highly unlikely.

Completely disagree. The only reason for the lack of exposure is [Redacted]. The new coach will dictate exposure. That will definitely be the case in year 2. Hire Marshall or Shaka and we are back on ESPN2 and ESPNU regularly with Duke, UNC, and Cuse games on ESPN next year. Succeed and even more national games in Year 2.

Last edited:
The Bz hire and 4 years of irrelevance has killed the perception of the WF basketball program. This is another reason why the WF job will not be attractive to many potential coaching candidates. WF basketball gets less national run than many high profile programs in non-BCS conferences.

Wake gets plenty of national attention when we put a good product on the floor. Even with the current bad product we are putting on the floor, the ACC tv deal has us on television as much or more than virtually every program in a non-power league and more than some in the other power leagues.

Potential coaches know that. Our current performance will have little effect on the coaching search.

Completely disagree. The only reason for the lack of exposure is [Redacted]. The new coach will dictate exposure. That will definitely be the case in year 2. Hire Marshall or Shaka and we are back on ESPN2 and ESPNU regularly with Duke, UNC, and Cuse games on ESPN next year. Succeed and even more national games in Year 2.

Right, but we won't hire Shaka and Marshall. That's my point. Hire a cybernetic John Wooden and we might even win a championship. Hire Jesus and all our guys become canonized.

No coach will be dissuaded by our current state of exposure. They have a long enough memory.

The only thing most potential coaches are going to pay attention to when it comes to the Bz era is this. That guy lost a lot yet was given four years so I can build a program there and have plenty of time to do it.

We're going to draw on the same candidate pool we always do and that includes Shaka and Marshall as realistic targets.

The ACC tv deal guarantees us exposure on tv.

If Marshall wouldn't take the State job for $2.5 million, he's not coming to Wake.

The only thing most potential coaches are going to pay attention to when it comes to the Bz era is this. That guy lost a lot yet was given four years so I can build a program there and have plenty of time to do it.

We're going to draw on the same candidate pool we always do and that includes Shaka and Marshall as realistic targets.

The ACC tv deal guarantees us exposure on tv.

What Wake has to offer and what Wake is capable of in the current basketball landscape, especially considering our personnel.

Why are we capable of less than 5 years ago?

If by personnel, you mean players, that will change quickly especially if the coach gets some leeway.

Last edited:
I'd wager the entire board is behind Wellman getting the bat off his shoulders regarding Shaka and Marshall even if it means striking out. The larger point I was trying to make is that candidate list behind them is what you'd usually expect at Wake and where the board has focused its attention.

"The board"? Or just that thread. I did not like the selections on that thread. I'd rather have Tad Boyle than most on that list.

The only two candidates on my list are Shaka and Marshall. (Although Miller's wife is a strong argument for his selection.)

Last edited:
If Marshall wouldn't take the State job for $2.5 million, he's not coming to Wake.

The State offer was 1.9 million according to the article linked below and Marshall has repeatedly been quoted as saying that is the only offer he has been seriously tempted by. The temptation was because of the league and the location of getting back in the Carolinas. We'll have to offer him a better deal but with the increased ACC tv and Bowl money that should not be an issue.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34551166

What Wake has to offer and what Wake is capable of in the current basketball landscape, especially considering our personnel.

The current personnel are fairly irrelevant as they will be replaced by transfers or graduation within two years. But there's enough talent here that a good coach can put up a respectable win total until he gets his guys in the system.

Why are we capable of less than 5 years ago?

A whole lot more than we are now. The hot coaches of the day said no way, and we ended up with Jeff [Redacted].

You want to do a jaybone-style bet? I'll give you Shaka, Marshall, and even throw in Brad Stevens. I'll take the field.

Bz was named head coach within a week. There's no way Wellman got turned down by very many candidates. Bz was obviously near the top of his list.

Yep. bdz, KingDeac posted some good stuff one of the next coach threads.

Did anyone notice that Andy Katz had a video up at ESPN in which he noted that Ben Howland told Katz that Howland wanted to get back into coaching and didn't care what part of the country he went to? Is Wellman at least smart enough to take that hint? Sorry if Haas.

Back