• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How far has our program fallen?

Didn't even turn on the tv today. First time since sometime in the 1960's I didn't watch a Wake game I could watch. Makes me sick in the pit if my stomach.

We do need to open the wallet and make a great hire. Not a good hire. A great hire. And I think Shaka and Marshall are in the mix to get into the basketball super conference.

Has me so hurt and angry I wrote this to RW:

Date: February 22, 2014 at 2:00:02 PM EST
To: Ronald Wellman <wellmanr@wfu.edu>
Subject: You might want to read this one
Dear Ron: I know that you feel your position does not allow you to respond to us menial little fans about the state of our basketball program. Even though there are a bunch of us menial fans who provide $15,000 plus per year in revenue to the athletic department. Likely you have just quit reading these e-mails but you might want to step away from the NCAA and listen.

You must take some decisive action. We are an embarrassment not only to the conference but to our own fans and supporters. Your unrealistic unwillingness to see what state we were in last year and force us to stick with this clear incompetence is now causing irreparable damage to a once proud program. We have sunk to depths none of us could have imagined. We deserve an explanation for your stubborn attitude and frankly impeachable failure to act.

My wife, who frankly does not care if she sees another basketball game, made a very incisive comment. If this is the level of competitiveness you are satisfied with and taking into account how our non revenue sports are competing the last few years, you may as well recommend to the Trustees that we move to the CAA or some other conference in which we can compete. The ACC will continue to get better and better and we are getting worse and worse across the board. You really should be ashamed of where our athletics are at this juncture.

I have tried and tried to appeal to you with fact based arguments to no avail. I have tried to appeal to your ego and say make changes in the manner you did with football. Now we are almost a full season too late with changes that clearly should have been made and that a vast majority of the fans knew should have been made. Do you think newspaper ads and billboards were just a lark. No it was fans who cared enough to try and get you to come down from the tower and see what needed to be done. While I had nothing to do with it and felt it showed poorly on a once proud program, I understood what they were trying to accomplish. You were ignoring us.

It is now time to stop ignoring us and take action. I would wager a $1000 donation to your valued training facility that if you relieved [Redacted] of his duties there would be more fans at the Clemson game than all season. You can't allow us to be the butt of any more jokes.

Please!

Come on guys send him some more of these!

Last edited:
Oh, look who's playing on ESPN now (and who also hosted Gameday today)!

Has me so hurt and angry I wrote this to RW:

My wife, who frankly does not care if she sees another basketball game, made a very incisive comment. If this is the level of competitiveness you are satisfied with and taking into account how our non revenue sports are competing the last few years, you may as well recommend to the Trustees that we move to the CAA or some other conference in which we can compete. The ACC will continue to get better and better and we are getting worse and worse across the board. You really should be ashamed of where our athletics are at this juncture.

What was the incisive comment by your wife?

Long before any of recruits were alive.

Speaking of recruits, these negative threads really hurt our ability to recruit. YOU KNOW OPPOSING COACHES USE THIS AGAINST US, RIGHT??!!! OMG!

We should be a top-five or six program in the ACC with the right hire. The top of the league is strong, but weak outside of the top five. Once K, Roy, and Boeheim retire, Wake could make a play for the throne.

We should be a top-five or six program in the ACC with the right hire. Once K, Roy, and Boeheim retire, Wake could make a play for the throne.

We should be a top-five or six program in the ACC with the wrong hire. Hell, we finished #2 an #5 during Dino's last two seasons...

We just can't afford to throw away another four or five seasons with a weak hire.

We just can't afford to throw away another four or five seasons with a weak hire.

For sure. I was just pointing out that a coach that at least half of the posters on here considered to be incompetent had us as a top-five ACC team in his last two years here. To suck as much as Jeff [Redacted] sucks at everything is actually kind of hard to accomplish, it would seem.

14-13 with four to play. Have to figure a Clemson team trying to build its resume levels it all out at 14 each. Three remaining games against Dook, BC and UM. UM is playing pretty well right now (3-1). Short answer: below 0.500 with the easiest preseason schedule I can remember.

The state of the program reminds me some of what my baseball Tigers were going through in the mid 2000's. We finally decided to overpay free agents as that is the only reason they would come to Detroit (Mags Ordonez got 85 mil for 5 years). At the time that was the 2nd biggest free agent deal in history, but it lead to a rebirth in the Motor City. Now the Tigers are back to being a place where free agents want to be.

Wellman absolutely needs to over pay for the best coach he can get to come to W/S. I just don't get the feeling that is going to happen.

How far have we fallen? There was a time when Wake, State, Carolina, and Duke were known as "The Big Four". Opponents had a healthy respect for "The Big Four". Wake was "respected" even if we didn't win all of our games. We are not respected anymore. Now, according to USA Today, Wake is a "bottom-feeder". That's how far we have fallen.

14-13 with four to play. Have to figure a Clemson team trying to build its resume levels it all out at 14 each. Three remaining games against Dook, BC and UM. UM is playing pretty well right now (3-1). Short answer: below 0.500 with the easiest preseason schedule I can remember.

We all knew the OOC charade would be exposed as soon as league play started and, well, here are are.

How far have we fallen? There was a time when Wake, State, Carolina, and Duke were known as "The Big Four". Opponents had a healthy respect for "The Big Four". Wake was "respected" even if we didn't win all of our games. We are not respected anymore. Now, according to USA Today, Wake is a "bottom-feeder". That's how far we have fallen.

yeah, I've never heard anyone reference the Big 4 except on this forum.

Not much of an ACC fan huh?

just casual until coming to Wake. thats the point of this thread. I moved to NC three years ago and have never heard anyone else use that term

Back