• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How is Kliff Kingsbury Looking Now?

Two years ago, Kingsbury was the flavor of the month, and many thought Texas Tech pulled off a coup when they landed Kingsbury in a 5 year deal for $10.5 million guaranteed.

Well, Kingsbury is now in his 2nd year at TT, and his collective Big 12 record is 4-7 over his two seasons as TT coach, and this year, Texas Tech has already lost by double digits to Arkansas, OK State and Kansas State. At this point, the Texas Tech program is clearly behind Oklahoma, OK State, Baylor, Kansas State, TCU, Texas and is probably behind West Virginia in profile in the Big 12, and is also behind Texas A&M for in-state recruiting mojo meter; so the Texas Tech program has fallen down the list among the Texas schools over the last two seasons. Safe to say that things are not looking super-promising in Lubbock right now as people still don't realize what an amazing job Mike Leach did there.

Now, Kingsbury is young, only in his 2nd year, and it's not like Texas Tech is going to attract John Gruden or even Will Muschamp (after Florida fires him) anytime soon; so, Kingsbury has plenty of time to turn things around, but the idea that Kliff Kingsbury would be the next big thing in college football has jumped the tracks.

This is a random thread, but I for one agree with you. I feel like Kingsbury has bought into his own hype and is more concerned about his image and less about his coaching.

To be fair TT was always behind most of those schools except Baylor and they'll more than likely always be behind these schools since Lubbock is a shithole. I don't think anyone really thought Kliff would be the next big thing in college football, he just got a lot of attention due to his age and demeanor.

Exactly. When has TT not been behind those schools as far as national perspective?

KK.gif

I think a lot of people thought Kingsburg was a reach hire, a real risk or reward. He basically had one year as an OC and a year or two as a position coach and that was pretty much it. Nice for a school like Texas Tech to make a risk and reward hire instead of Bzdeliking it.

It's way too soon to call him a bust.

Last edited:
Feel like this splits along age lines.

I'm like 75% sure that I saw Kliff buying a red bull at a 7-11 near my apartment in downtown Austin on Monday

And he was looking FLYYYYYYY

You Eskimo bros with Kliff yet? I imagine that's not hard to do.

You all also fail to realize Kliff is cult hero in Lubbock. He could go average a 6-6 record for the next 15 years and still be a god.

Back