• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

Again, a single school shooting (an attempt by one person to intentionally injure another) is too many.

Per the WSJ, for the benefit of PhDeac who argues that the following made our kids unsafe:

Yet a closer look at the statistics tells a different story. Here are several of the incidents, which were drawn from the database of the gun-control group Everytown for Gun Safety:

• A school-bus window was broken by a pellet gun in Forest City, Iowa.

• A gun was accidentally discharged in a weapons class at a Denison, Texas, community college.

• A vehicle that pulled into a parking lot at Wiley College in Texas at 2 a.m. struck a wall, and someone inside fired shots apparently at random before fleeing the scene.

• A shot from off campus struck a building at California State University, San Bernardino at around 6 p.m.

• A 14-year-old Arizonan committed suicide without threatening anyone else.

• A veteran with posttraumatic stress disorder shot himself in the parking lot of a closed Michigan school. No students were present.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-school-shooting-with-a-pellet-gun-1516925417

They aren’t cowards. They just don’t care to fix it. Do you honestly believe a Republican lawmaker cares about kids who die in a school shooting?

Evidence?

The GOP uses these tragedies to sell or require more guns. They don’t actually care. Maybe if it happens in their neighborhoods to kids like their own. But they don’t care about the rest of us.

Absurd, even by PHDeac standards.

Again, a single school shooting (an attempt by one person to intentionally injure another) is too many.

Per the WSJ, for the benefit of PhDeac who argues that the following made our kids unsafe:

Yet a closer look at the statistics tells a different story. Here are several of the incidents, which were drawn from the database of the gun-control group Everytown for Gun Safety:

• A school-bus window was broken by a pellet gun in Forest City, Iowa.

• A gun was accidentally discharged in a weapons class at a Denison, Texas, community college.

• A vehicle that pulled into a parking lot at Wiley College in Texas at 2 a.m. struck a wall, and someone inside fired shots apparently at random before fleeing the scene.

• A shot from off campus struck a building at California State University, San Bernardino at around 6 p.m.

• A 14-year-old Arizonan committed suicide without threatening anyone else.

• A veteran with posttraumatic stress disorder shot himself in the parking lot of a closed Michigan school. No students were present.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-school-shooting-with-a-pellet-gun-1516925417

New tactic: it’s fake news!

Guys don’t worry only some of the school shootings are real, so quick look over here at some flawed statistics that show totals including dumb things, don’t mind the fresh murdered children.

Guys don’t worry only some of the school shootings are real, so quick look over here at some flawed statistics that show totals including dumb things, don’t mind the fresh murdered children.

Who said that? The topic is so horrifying the real stats should speak for themselves. As I have noted several times, even a single school shooting is one too many. Try to stay on point here Louis.

Dillon Fence is just saying don't distort the statistics, not that we should ignore the ones that accurately show that we need gun control.

Good thing this isn’t a major public health issue that will bring everyone to the table, like Ebola!

This is why bitching about stats matters, because it’s a pretty obvious whatabout perpetuated by the same underlying people preventing a solution. The NRA and republicans prevent any money going to solid science based research. So after every tragedy you get someone saying no that stats not right, or you don’t even know anything about guns, or what about mental health, what if he had a knife and what and what and so on. That’s why even when you hedge this is bad and any kid shooting is bad but... the but is put in there to distract.

here's a stat for you -- any gun more than zero on a school campus is bad

But what if it’s counted in total statistics because they killed thenselves in a suicide after hours?

But what if it’s counted in total statistics because they killed thenselves in a suicide after hours?

yeah my stat only counts for during school hours Mon-Fri (not counting holidays or teacher work days) and guns possessed by current students or faculty

It kind of blows my mind that the NRA has convinced a large swath of Americans that they NEED guns, other than a basic shotgun, hunting rifle, or pistol. You would think getting it down to that level would be pretty common sense. Alas, I'll never forget my history teacher in high school saying that "It's my husband's dream to be back in colonial times, fighting in the Revolutionary War with an automatic rifle." It's as though some people imagine Obama's Red Coats lining up outside their house, ready to take their guns as they mow them down, valiantly holding their ground as a true patriot.

I think what confuses me even more are my cop friends that do not support gun control.

Last edited:
Dillon Fence is just saying don't distort the statistics, not that we should ignore the ones that accurately show that we need gun control.

is he? because that kind of 'warning' is typically just used to redirect a conversation into minutiae. the same as huffing about the gun being an Sig 556 vs an AR

BTW, gun sales are down and Remington is teetering on bankruptcy. Why ? Because the Obama era gun buying flurry has fallen off the cliff with Trump's election.

They aren’t cowards. They just don’t care to fix it. Do you honestly believe a Republican lawmaker cares about kids who die in a school shooting?

Evidence?

The GOP uses these tragedies to sell or require more guns. They don’t actually care. Maybe if it happens in their neighborhoods to kids like their own. But they don’t care about the rest of us.

Evidence?

What are Republican lawmakers doing to show they care?

That’s not my point.

Let me make sure I understand the two posts of yours I referred to as absurd. You believe that an entire group of people, identifiable by their political affiliation, does not care about human life, except those of their own family members. Is that correct?

It will be interesting to see if gun sales spike today without Obama in the White House. Remington may have declared bankruptcy too early, because it could be like Black Friday for some sick fucks.

It kind of blows my mind that the NRA has convinced a large swath of Americans that they NEED guns, other than a basic shotgun, hunting rifle, or pistol. You would think getting it down to that level would be pretty common sense. Alas, I'll never forget my history teacher in high school saying that "It's my husband's dream to be back in colonial times, fighting in the Revolutionary war with an automatic rifle." I swear, it's as though some people imagine Obama's Red Coats lining up outside their house, ready to take their guns as they mow them down, valiantly holding their ground as a true patriot.

I think what confuses me even more is my cop friends that do not support gun control.

and why should the National RIFLE Association have a say in handguns? stay in your lane!

Gun sales have increased in recent years. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. gun-makers produced nearly 11 million guns in 2013, the year after the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre. That's twice as many as they made in 2010.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-23-at-10.59.54-AM.png

Well that stat is misleading in regards to access to firearms for a school shooting. Even though sales of guns have gone up, total households owning a gun have decreased. Smaller amounts of people are basically stockpiling weapons. Thus the average <18 year old should presumably have less access to firearms.

Back