• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much does Duke suck? Less than us apparently...

Actually that wasn't as bad as moving him to LB.

SDeacz, Ovie got 0 carries his junior year. Zero. A future NFL FB. Zero yards. He had 40 carries during Caldwell's final year, so there wasn't much for Calhoun to figure out. Of course, his senior year, he had 81 carries for 322 yards (4.0 ypc for a short yardage FB!) and 12 TDs (3rd in the ACC).

I’ve seen the suggestion that we move Carney to LB, lol

Actually that wasn't as bad as moving him to LB.

SDeacz, Ovie got 0 carries his junior year. Zero. A future NFL FB. Zero yards. He had 40 carries during Caldwell's final year, so there wasn't much for Calhoun to figure out. Of course, his senior year, he had 81 carries for 322 yards (4.0 ypc for a short yardage FB!) and 12 TDs (3rd in the ACC).

The 4.0 YPC would have been the 7th best YPC on the team in 2001. Calhoun just went with the 6 guys who were better in terms of YPC.

Maybe those other guys were 4-5 YPC because, you know, they had an NFL FB blocking for them?

Rinfrette averaged 2.4 YPC carry in his career. His sophomore year, when he tried his hand at LB, we had Rich Belton and Converted RB DeAngelo Bryant at FB. Along with 3 good TEs in Tereshinski, Selmon and Wooster. Seems like it was a chance for him to get on field rather than ride the pine. And maybe make him a better tackler since he was a prominent player on special teams throughout his career.

I’ve seen the suggestion that we move Carney to LB, lol

Yeah. I said it. I was kind of joking. The more I think about it, we have a glut at RB and we don't at MLB. I'd rather see Carney as a FB though.

The 4.0 YPC would have been the 7th best YPC on the team in 2001. Calhoun just went with the 6 guys who were better in terms of YPC.

LOL. Ovie on 3rd and short cost someone some playing time.

Yeah. I said it. I was kind of joking. The more I think about it, we have a glut at RB and we don't at MLB. I'd rather see Carney as a FB though.

LOL. Ovie on 3rd and short cost someone some playing time.

Yeah but we got down to one against Cuse and State, it’s good to have depth there. Carney at FB in a few sets might make sense though.

All joking aside, Calhoun’s offense was so awesome. 7 guys with 4 yards a carry or better!?

Fred Stanton was a decent FB too, and a little more speed than Ovie. Obviously ovie was the better player and the bottom line is Grobe/Calhoun should have used him the way they used him senior year (I would have loved to have ovie in 2003 vs Purdue)

Yeah but we got down to one against Cuse and State, it’s good to have depth there. Carney at FB in a few sets might make sense though.

Yeah. I'd like to see us mix up the sets and go with RB + 3 WR + Hines/TE/FB.

Back