• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much money has Wellman cost Wake the last 4 years?

Goolsbyrules

Reaction score
I have been told you cant put a price on goodwill but some of you smarter financial types indulge me. Between Wellman's salary and Bzz's , grobe's buyout, season tickets sales decline and attendance down, the condescension and disdain for the fan base etc the number has got to be pretty big. If Wellman is allowed to make the next basketball hire, it may set Wake back 10 more years.

I wish Dan Collins would ask Wellman to explain how Bzz and done everything that we asked him to. I don't know anyone who believed Bzz should be giving a 4th year. Unc fired Matt D after 3 years and he was coach of the year one of those years and went to the post season twice.

There are enough on the record quotes from Wellman that the BOT should have no problem firing him for cause. Can any CEOs or business owners on this board explain to me how Wellman is allowed to have his job or at least tell me how he is allowed to ever make another personnel decision?

I don't take pleasure in anyone losing their job, I just don't understand how the Deacon Club can even make a phone call asking for one penny. What has taken place the last four years is boarder line fraud, and if not fraud gross negligence and incompetence.

Let's be conservative and say he cost us 3000 ticket sales per game for about 65-70 home games. That's 200,000 times $30 for tickets and our share of concessions/parking/ souvenirs =$6,000,000

Let's be conservative and say he cost us 3000 ticket sales per game for about 65-70 home games. That's 200,000 times $30 for tickets and our share of concessions/parking/ souvenirs =$6,000,000

That is a lot of cheese!

I wouldn't give Ron the bubbles off my pee if he called and asked.

I think RJ is being very conservative. Lost ticket sales alone could be over $10 million. Not counting salaries, I'd guess the total loss could easily be $12 to $15 million when lost ticket sales, lost concession & parking revenues, withheld DC contributions, lost clothing n other licensing revenues, etc. are considered.

3 million to Grobe, although maybe he is taking credit for making the Joel a worthless asset for Winston-Salem

I think RJ is being very conservative. Lost ticket sales alone could be over $10 million. Not counting salaries, I'd guess the total loss could easily be $12 to $15 million when lost ticket sales, lost concession & parking revenues, withheld DC contributions, lost clothing n other licensing revenues, etc. are considered.

I was trying to be conservative about just at the games.

Realistically it has cost easily into eight figures.

Threads like this make me wish that there was a college AD equivalent of the WAR (wins above replacement) metric.

I can safely say at least 80% of regular posters would have handled the last 5 years of Wake sports better than Ron Wellman.

Does this factor in football too or just bball? Attendance the last couple of years has been down at football games. Was that Wellman's fault for not forcing Grobe to make staff changes earlier and allowing a putrid product to remain on the field? That argument can be made.

There are enough on the record quotes from Wellman that the BOT should have no problem firing him for cause. Can any CEOs or business owners on this board explain to me how Wellman is allowed to have his job or at least tell me how he is allowed to ever make another personnel decision?
So you actually think the BOT is going to fire Wellman after the way Wellman handled Grobe leaving and the Clawson hire? Are you seriously worried about the coming basketball hire in the face of that huge success? And keep in mind, the BOT and powers that be know the full back story on Dino/Bz too and were a part of that hire and whatever agreements were made....all information we really know little about.

Bz no doubt cost Wellman/Wake some $$, but the whipsaw could make up for it quickly with a strong hire. I've always thought that the push in football was to get more national exposure for the entire school, which was the weakness in the USNews rankings. If that was the case, Wellman has banked WAY more funds than he lost IMO. He'll make the bball hire and retire within 5 years.

So you actually think the BOT is going to fire Wellman after the way Wellman handled Grobe leaving and the Clawson hire? Are you seriously worried about the coming basketball hire in the face of that huge success? And keep in mind, the BOT and powers that be know the full back story on Dino/Bz too and were a part of that hire and whatever agreements were made....all information we really know little about.

Bz no doubt cost Wellman/Wake some $$, but the whipsaw could make up for it quickly with a strong hire. I've always thought that the push in football was to get more national exposure for the entire school, which was the weakness in the USNews rankings. If that was the case, Wellman has banked WAY more funds than he lost IMO. He'll make the bball hire and retire within 5 years.

What's gone is gone. It cannot be made up. Wake may get back to a current version of where it was; but those lost revenues are gone, forever.

Our USNews rankings haven't gone up that much really since we debuted 20 years ago.

I don't think Wellman handled the Grobe/Clawson situation at all well. The fact that he got rid of Grobe before Bzz is sorry. Spent 3 million to do it.

Which if anything, should absolutely terrify you.

Back