• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much money has Wellman cost Wake the last 4 years?

I don't think Wellman handled the Grobe/Clawson situation at all well. The fact that he got rid of Grobe before Bzz is sorry. Spent 3 million to do it.

I hate this argument. It was time for Grobe to go. Obviously Bzz should've been fired a long time ago, but just because Wellman made one stupid decision (retaining Bzz) doesn't mean that he should've also made another stupid decision (retaining Grobe).

His handling of the football transition was just fine. If your only problem with it is that Grobe left before Bzz, then that's a pretty minor problem.

I think RJ is being very conservative. Lost ticket sales alone could be over $10 million. Not counting salaries, I'd guess the total loss could easily be $12 to $15 million when lost ticket sales, lost concession & parking revenues, withheld DC contributions, lost clothing n other licensing revenues, etc. are considered.
I was in the Army for 31 years. I didn't make it to many games but I always had a Wake Forest t-shirt or sweat shirt and I had a Wake Forest decal or sticker on my cars. I haven't bought a sweat shirt or put a decal on my car in years.

I have a neighbor who used to be a big Wake Forest fan. He always had a Wake Forest flag flying by his house. I haven't seen that flag in several years.

There are so many little ways that the Bz hire has hurt Wake's income that it is hard to count. :rulz:

Also consider the lost revenue for the city of Winston-Salem. If basketball attendance is down then there aren't as many people going to restaurants or bars. That has to be substantial.

With Casstevens at the helm, we're actually showing income of ~$50M.

What's gone is gone. It cannot be made up. Wake may get back to a current version of where it was; but those lost revenues are gone, forever.
Sure, but there is a hypothetical constant in funding. The drop from that hypothetical because of Bz could be more than made up by a whipsaw the other way...with fans showing greater than normal support for a good hiring decision. While all the despair seems like it's ruined interest, it could easily have energized more of the fanbase to care when things improve and care with their wallets. Momentum is a factor.

Our USNews rankings haven't gone up that much really since we debuted 20 years ago.
It's more about national recognition. I haven't looked at our national recognition numbers recently but that number had been killing us in the rankings. At one point it was the lowest of the top 50 at a minimum......and I'm pretty sure top 100 schools. That was an issue because it reduced the pool of students interested in Wake as well as knowledge of the capabilities of Wake grads in the work force (since I believe CEOs were part of the polling to get that number IIRC). I imagine our national recognition numbers are way better now, and I think sports had a lot to do with that.

FWIW, we were ranked 30 in 2006 when the rankings were announced (2007 year rankings) and are now 23. That's a pretty quick jump.

Back