• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How poor were you in college?

buckets

#1 Bald Hero
Reaction score
In this thread we discuss ways in which we were poor in college...

I bought a couch from the Salvation Army, and we had to take the cushions off to fit it in the doorway. A live mouse hopped out of the couch. And I kept the couch for all of my junior year.

We ran out of TP my senior year, then used all the paper towels, then used all the napkins/tissues, and then my roommate used dryer sheets out of necessity before breaking down to buy TP.

I bought a couch from the Salvation Army, and we had to take the cushions off to fit it in the doorway. A live mouse hopped out of the couch. And I kept the couch for all of my junior year.

We ran out of TP my senior year, then used all the paper towels, then used all the napkins/tissues, and then my roommate used dryer sheets out of necessity before breaking down to buy TP.

As I recall, that was more about the fact we came to a stalemate as to who had to purchase the next round of TP. People felt like they were always the one person that had to buy it so everybody refused to be the next person.

I drank Evan Williams...

...Green Label... UGH.

Junior Year I refused to drink anything that didn't come in a glass bottle. Except for Gordon's of course.

i was House Manager for the fraternity which meant free dues (or maybe half dues) but I had to clean everything before we had pledges.

there are way too many places on campus to steal TP to ever have to use a dryer-sheet

For the summer of 2008 I was working in Winston and my friend from HS wanted to live with me. We found a bedroom to share on Craigslist and then started looking for a bed to share as well. We were looking for a full but found a Queen mattress, boxspring, and frame for $75. Drove to wherever it was (some trailer park near Kernersville ~15 miles away) and picked it up. We had to tie it to the roof of my Accord to get it to the house. Got it to the house and it wouldn't fit up the stairs. I think I've posted about it before but thus began the saga that eventually lead to stripping the boxspring, cutting off 2 corners and then cutting it in half, and duct taping it once it got upstairs. I just got rid of that mattress after 3 years when HTTD and I moved to Greensboro.

That summer we also saved a McDonald's cup so we could go in and get free refills and as well as strongly considered siphoning gas. My friend may or may not have made some money after being gifted illegal substances for giving a girl a ride home from work.

So poor I had to take out thousands of dollars in loans and work 3 jobs. Wait, am I doing this thread wrong?

Jesus, that mattress story just made me feel a little queasy.

I didnt have it that bad, but still amazes me how cheap college is.

I lived off campus jr and sr year and got by on less than a grand a month, rent, utilities, food, booze everything included.

Last edited:

spoiled brat!!! we used leaves for TP......

I remember doing online surveys at $5 a pop and wildin out when the eventual $50 check arrived

Jesus, that mattress story just made me feel a little queasy.

I didnt have it that bad, but still amazings me how cheap college is.

I lived off campus jr and sr year and got by on less than a grand a month, rent, utilities, food, booze everything included.

Yeah the mattress thing is nasty.

I sold my spanish textbook prior to taking the exam. That was so I could booze though.

Back