• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How the Mormons Make Money

Very interesting. I have read a lot on Mormons especially after working for one for 4 years. Mormons are great people by American terms, but the church has a very disturbing undertone to it. I have been to the Temple, and been given the tour. Even sat for 45 minutes for the Mormon movie. The real trouble I have with Mormonism is that they try to fit themselves into the Christian subset when their theology is clearly something completely different.

In the Bible the first sin is Man trying to become God. (eat the apple and you will know good and evil just like God).

In Mormonism the entire goal is to become God of your own universe (if you are 'good' enough).

The focuses of the two are completely opposite, yet in our watered down American Christianity of 'be good and God will accept you' the two often don't look all that different. I am very uneasy about Romney as a Mormon, and I imagine that there are a lot of conservative Christians that feel similarly but that will vote for Romney simply because he is the alternative to Obama.

It is an interesting topic of discussion, that is for sure. Thanks for posting.

I like religions like mormonism that claim that acts of divinity happened in historically recent times. It just really highlights how ridiculous the entire thing (religion) is. Everybody is skeptical of modern claims of divinity, but if some 2,000 year old sheep herders who had mystical explanations for everything had claims of divinity, well that's completely different.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...n-day-problem/2012/01/22/gIQApCeiJQ_blog.html

Last edited:
Interesting article.

"Under U.S. law, churches can legally turn around and sell donated stock without paying capital-gains taxes, a clear advantage for both donor and receiver. The church also makes money through various investment vehicles, including a trust company and an investment fund called Ensign Peak Advisors, which employs managers who specialize in international equities, cash management, fixed income, quantitative investment, and emerging markets, according to profiles on LinkedIn (LNKD). Public information on Ensign Peak is sparse. In 2006 one of the fund’s vice presidents, Laurence R. Stay, told the Mormon-run Deseret News, “As we trade securities, all of the trading happens essentially with a handshake. … There’s lots of protections around it, but billions of dollars change hands every day just based on the ethics of the group—that people know that they can trust each other.”

How is a tax-exempt entity able to make these investments? Do they pay taxes on their investments, property, capital gains, management fees after the "donation"?

Jhmd and DODO should be here soon to call out the Mormons as freeloaders getting handouts from the gov while their money is stolen from them by force.

It's not like Mormonism is the only religion cashing in on investments. Good grief.

yep. all religions are essentially the same

yep. They are all freeloaders who get free handouts from the gov while our money is stolen from us by force.

Is there a Mormon mfdeacs on the boards???

Fingers-crossed1.jpg

I thought they made their money from all the weddings they performed, owning the shops to buy baby clothes and lending money to the Mafia in Vegas.

I thought they made their money from all the weddings they performed, owning the shops to buy baby clothes and lending money to the Mafia in Vegas.

I'm certainly not a religion supporter, but didn't you freak out when someone posted negative stereotypes about your religion?

If you can't tell the difference between an innocent joke and using one of most heinous (used by Nazis throughout the holocaust) anti-Semetic political cartoons in history, then the problem is with you.

P.S. I've made plenty of jokes about Jews on these boards. Like the one about the rabbi and the priest on a train and if you ten Jews in a room, you'll have twelve opinions.

Know what you call a Jewish couple's waterbed?

Lake Placid

I never knew a Mormon that couldn't shoot free throws.

Those people are money at the charity stripe.

Go, better watch out, 29 will bitch about your joke......my bad he won't do that to a fellow Rwer :)

If you have 7 different women cooking you dinner every night, and if one of them starts bitching about something you can just leave and go bang another one that day, then it is probably easy to keep your daytime focus on getting paid.

I can't imagine living w/ one woman, let alone 7. Jesus H. Caruso

Back