• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How the SEC cheats

awaken

Reaction score
Former SEC punter on Dan Patrick

Cool. Now do the ACC, Big 12, B1G, and PAC 12.

Sounding like it's Kody Bliss from Auburn, maybe.

Awaken, I'm glad you are, awaken.

This is going on at every major basketball and football program in the country. Has been for decades. Wake included. Numbers might be smaller but every school has these boosters and bag men.

I'm sure Duke and UNC are doing this. The guy was calling in because of the Zion allegations.

Well, we know that Nassir Little was offered a fair amount of money by Miami and Arizona - and then he ends up at UNC. And we know that most of the top recruits are getting offers - and Duke has been getting the top one and doners every year for multiple years. But I'm sure those guys were turning down all that money, so they could be at Duke for 3/4 of a year, right?

Awaken, I'm glad you are, awaken.

This is going on at every major basketball and football program in the country. Has been for decades. Wake included. Numbers might be smaller but every school has these boosters and bag men.

One of our biggest boosters is literally a car guy.

But remember, there's no money to pay players.

Last edited:
One of our biggest boosters is literally a car guy.

But remember, there's no money to pay players.

Agreed and exactly the point. There are untapped revenue streams to pay players. These could be made legal. To deny them is either idealistic, stupid, or evil (cough cough racist cough cough) - or it could be all three.

I don't know but a free education along with room and board seems like a pretty good deal.

Would you work for that? We can let your employer know that you're happy with a dorm room (or small apartment), cafeteria food, and tuition for yourself or appointed loved one. :p

I'm obv joking above, but markets cannot be constrained - they just go underground. One of the excuses given is "we can't afford it." Well, stop overpaying coaches, overbuying gyms and equipment, cut administrative bloat, and access the denied revenue streams, and yeah, you can afford it.

I don't know but a free education along with room and board seems like a pretty good deal.

Sorry dude but back in the dark ages when I played several of us got together and figured out the time spent versus the value of scholarship, meals books and even the laundry money provided and we ended with an hourly rate of 1.55 an hour. Minimum wage at that time was 1.65. We however did not have practice time limits and frequently were involved from 1-7 m-th with Friday light day. Not exactly a great return.

Would you work for that? We can let your employer know that you're happy with a dorm room (or small apartment), cafeteria food, and tuition for yourself or appointed loved one. :p

I'm obv joking above, but markets cannot be constrained - they just go underground. One of the excuses given is "we can't afford it." Well, stop overpaying coaches, overbuying gyms and equipment, cut administrative bloat, and access the denied revenue streams, and yeah, you can afford it.

Also you are only promised tuition as long as your services prove valuable to the university and that can be cut at any moment.

Exactly. Let the market work. The players have marketable skills for which they should be entitled to adequate compensation. It’s obscene a wealthy institution gets to reap all the profits of the players’ labor. As long as the imbalance exists, there will be bag men and other shady characters in this world. It won’t go away. It will only get worse.

Sorry dude but back in the dark ages when I played several of us got together and figured out the time spent versus the value of scholarship, meals books and even the laundry money provided and we ended with an hourly rate of 1.55 an hour. Minimum wage at that time was 1.65. We however did not have practice time limits and frequently were involved from 1-7 m-th with Friday light day. Not exactly a great return.

Do you have a Wake Forest degree?

Actually was on athletic scholarship and it was great. It was a privilege to get an education and represent wake.

FWIW I know a couple of players that went to Duke a decade or so ago who were offered cash/benefits to attend school there. Apparently they didn't take it, but it was on the table.

Was the annual cost $77K a year in the dark ages? Median household income in NC is $54K. I suppose that's 8 hours a day M-F, 50 weeks a year.

Also fine with players making money off their likeness or whatever. Fine with a stipend from the university. But they are compensated pretty well for their efforts and some of them (although not many of our basketball players recently) end up with a nice degree for their future, too.

Back