• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to win a fight, by John Shelton Reed (on NC vs. Tx BBQ)

also I get the argument when people say it's all about the meat and not about the sauce, but I really do love bbq sauce and think it pairs quite well with smoked meats, so I say bring it on.

I never thought I'd see tsy of all people give in to the demands of foreigners.
When in Rome..... I'd like to think of myself as being very adaptive and assimilating.

also I get the argument when people say it's all about the meat and not about the sauce, but I really do love bbq sauce and think it pairs quite well with smoked meats, so I say bring it on.

A great sauce or dip can go a long way to accentuate and compliment the meat. Just make sure it doesn't overpower the natural flavor of the meat. That's where so many people get it wrong. When I'm trying a new place I'll try a little bit of it naked, then add some sauce a few bites in. Sauces are better served on the side, if someone brings me some smoked or bbq'd meat that is already covered in sauce I get all :squint:

I like it on the side, too. Especially if they have several sauces on offer.

After I go golfing, I'm going to barbecue some hot dogs.

[leaves room to shoot self in the face]

After I go golfing, I'm going to barbecue some hot dogs.

[leaves room to shoot self in the face]

I think that is a perfectly acceptable sentence. Nothing wrong with saying that you are going to use a barbecue to grill some dogs. But you wouldn't then call those hot dogs BBQ. They are still called hot dogs.

From a northerner's perspective (I know... that means it doesn't count), I had no idea what "bbq" was as a food item. I always thought it was a way to prepare meat or a kind of sauce. Now I agree that BBQ has to be pig, and anything else is referred to as what cut it is.

A great sauce or dip can go a long way to accentuate and compliment the meat. Just make sure it doesn't overpower the natural flavor of the meat. That's where so many people get it wrong. When I'm trying a new place I'll try a little bit of it naked, then add some sauce a few bites in. Sauces are better served on the side, if someone brings me some smoked or bbq'd meat that is already covered in sauce I get all :squint:

See, when done well, I think a dip is much better when it's put on the BBQ, tossed and allowed to sit for a second so the flavors can blend. It never tastes as good to but the dip on top IMO. Noted, when done well, it's not really a "sauce" but more of a bit of flavor/spice applied after pulling as opposed to rub or mop that may be applied before or during cooking.

I think that is a perfectly acceptable sentence. Nothing wrong with saying that you are going to use a barbecue to grill some dogs. But you wouldn't then call those hot dogs BBQ. They are still called hot dogs.

From a northerner's perspective (I know... that means it doesn't count), I had no idea what "bbq" was as a food item. I always thought it was a way to prepare meat or a kind of sauce. Now I agree that BBQ has to be pig, and anything else is referred to as what cut it is.

For what it is worth, that sentence was DOA before you get past the fourth word. Know anyone that goes "tennising"?

"Barbecue" comes in as many forms as "whisky." Just don't tell a) a true barrel-head that Virginia Gentlemen exceeded your expectations, or b) a North Carolinian that you really enjoyed barbecuing your hamburgers on the barbecue in your backyard. Keep those thoughts to yourself and you'll be fine.

For what it is worth, that sentence was DOA before you get past the fourth word. Know anyone that goes "tennising"?

"Barbecue" comes in as many forms as "whisky." Just don't tell a) a true barrel-head that Virginia Gentlemen exceeded your expectations, or b) a North Carolinian that you really enjoyed barbecuing your hamburgers on the barbecue in your backyard. Keep those thoughts to yourself and you'll be fine.

The Virginia Gentleman 90pf with the embossed fox head is very good...if you see it, buy it. They don't make that one anymore.

I love brisket and bbq. It's apples and oranges, not sure why there's even a need to compare them.

This guy gets it...sort of.

There isn't a need to compare, but calling brisket bbq is just dumb. Why can't we just call real bbq what it is, and refer to everything else by the proper terminology (brisket, sausage, barbacoa, etc.).

cookout doesn't.

Barbecue is the process of cooking a meat low and slow. I spent most of my life in Texas and still GREATLY prefer pork to beef, but both are barbecue. I just like pork because it's delicious...I don't think I've smoked a brisket in years.

The true crime is the people that over sauce.

Last edited:
Back