• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How's That Obama Recovery Feeling?

I think gas prices hurt Joe Plumber in a more noticeable way than the stock market dip. It's not just at the pump either. A 3 pack of chicken breasts has gone from $7 to $10. The gas prices need to come back down.

Obama proposing a tax per mile scheme right now shows you how out of touch he really is. That tax will be in addition to gas taxes no doubt. And don't gas taxes already tax those who drive more?

Anyway, O would be vulnerable if the Republicans had a real candidate. They are either jokes (Trump) or bores (Romney). I would love to see Chris Christie swoop in like superman, but I think he is too smart to do that. He will be runaway R favorite in 2016.

Obama proposing a tax per mile scheme right now shows you how out of touch he really is. That tax will be in addition to gas taxes no doubt. And don't gas taxes already tax those who drive more?

The tax per mile scheme would replace the current 18.4 cent federal gas tax.

Sorry I wasted my time, if that's all you took from it. We need to creat jobs. Enlighten me on how effective you think the President's policies have been and what, if anything, you would have done differently.

I think the main debate on this is that some think the president should be creating a ton of jobs, while the other side argues that had he done nothing that even more jobs would have been lost, ergo he should get credit for job creation in the sense that more jobs weren't lost.

The facts as I see it are this:

We know for certain that the current policy isn't creating enough new jobs.

We know that doing absolutely nothing almost certainly would have resulted in more jobs lost.

We don't know if it really would be possible at all to create more new jobs with tax cuts. Corporations are sitting on tons of cash right now and not hiring. I'm not sure a tax cut changes that right now. If there is to be a tax cut of any kind it needs to go right to the american people and not to corporations. Cut out the middle man, because he can't be trusted.

I thought the stimulus was a good idea in theory, but horribly applied.

I absolutely 100% think the bailout of the banks was the right move. I shudder at how bad the situation could have gotten.

I hated the bailout of GM/Chrysler because it was basically a giveaway to the labor unions.

I wish more than anything that we had taken the funds used for the stimulus and used them to drive a large scale public works program.

The idea of forgiving student loans is a slap in the face to those who already paid theirs off themselves.

Any government handout is a slap in the face to those not receiving it. That being the case, if you are dead set on giving government handouts in the first place, then the objective is to give it to those people who most need it, deserve it, or can maximize it, or a combination thereof. Who gets slapped in the face in the process is a secondary concern.

"I hated the bailout of GM/Chrysler because it was basically a giveaway to the labor unions."

Do you even know what was in the deal?

They gave up billions of dollars owed to them. They cut their salaries and cut new hires salaries to be the same non-union new hires. They cut their current and retirement health benefits.

You see the word union and immediately state everything about them is bad.

This one case where the unions gave up billions to save millionis of US jobs and they did.

"I hated the bailout of GM/Chrysler because it was basically a giveaway to the labor unions."

Do you even know what was in the deal?

They gave up billions of dollars owed to them. They cut their salaries and cut new hires salaries to be the same non-union new hires. They cut their current and retirement health benefits.

You see the word union and immediately state everything about them is bad.

This one case where the unions gave up billions to save millionis of US jobs and they did.

The complete wipeout of existing shareholders and creditors, while the UAW was handed 17% interest in the new company is what I'm referring to.

I'm trying to follow the logical path here...

Bush created our current state because of his disastrous policies.
So, had he not followed his disastrous policies we would be in good shape.
If Obama were to reverse these disastrous policies we could return to economic soundness.
Hence, Obama does have some control over the future of our economy?

Or not... what is it?

The complete wipeout of existing shareholders and creditors, while the UAW was handed 17% interest in the new company is what I'm referring to.

The shareholders are supposed to get wiped out first, it's the bondholders who got screwed. It was a terrible precedent, one of Obama's greatest mistakes.

"A 3 pack of chicken breasts has gone from $7 to $10."

That's more expensive than here. Just got some skinless, boneless chicken titties for $1.99/pound.

"A 3 pack of chicken breasts has gone from $7 to $10."

That's more expensive than here. Just got some skinless, boneless chicken titties for $1.99/pound.

for some reason this made me laugh really hard

it is feeling just a shade better for these 244,000 Americans, I reckon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_economy

I'm sure it is, and I happy for them and their families. But that doesn't do much for the bigger picture.

The total amount of unemployed was unchanged from March at 13.7 million people.

The labor participation rate also was stuck at 64.2 percent, refuting the notion that the rise in the unemployment rate reflected more discouraged workers looking for jobs.

Also, the so-called real unemployment rate—which the government calls the U-6—which encompasses discouraged workers as well, actually rose in the month two-tenths of a point to 15.9 percent.

The numbers suggested that a good portion of the boost came from McDonald's [MCD 79.00 0.40 (+0.51%) ], which moved to hire 50,000 workers last month.

Still, gains in April marked seven straight months of net job creation, but remained too little to make much of dent on the pool of 13.7 million Americans out of work.

^can you post a link for that?

I've read it being called "the biggest corporate hiring spree in 5 years...."

Last edited:
^okay, fair enough.

but isn't the psychology of business as important as anything else right now? Banks have money - but business isn't borrowing. You don't think a 'hiring spree' like this is good for business psychology and has the potential to domino going forward?

How can the government, specifically the President, spur specific hiring ie manufacturing? (Im asking, not being rhetorical)

Again, change the corporate tax structure to make attractive, and not discourage, domestic manufacturing by not only domestic companies, but foreign companies.

Back