• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

UGA had an assistant coach teaching the sham course. UNC didn't. Sucks but that's the difference.

Much of NCAA investigations and punishments relies on some honor by the offending university. Usually it involves a president or some sort of university administrator(s) with some scruples that says "wow, yeah it looks like we did some bad stuff, we are sorry and are committed to fixing that." Instead, UNC is probably the first school that said "yeah, we cheated, but fuck you, there is nothing you can do it about, and we'll fight you over it."

The UGA course involved 3 players and represented 1 credit hour. Everybody got A's; even the 100 or so non-athletes. Agree that having an assistant coach teaching the sham course made matters worse, but a sham course is a sham course. UGA deserved to be punished as did UNC.

SACS didn't put UGA on probation, so that's another difference between the two cases.

Oh I agree. Just explaining the difference from the NCAA perspective.

For the life of me I cannot comprehend how not having to do actual school work as a "student" athelete is not an "improper" benefit. But I don't really care. Like I said, the real prize is throwing this fake school shit in the smug faces of UNC fans for the rest of my life.

Also, respect to jmhd. I think he's dead wrong but not dumb. So very much unlike most unc fans I've encountered.

Probably why he posts on this board.

Last edited:
Harrick and son should sue the NCAA.

Since the NCAA is clearly not about education, then they don't need non-profit tax exempt status.

From the NCAA perspective, they punished the person response with a show-cause.

From the NCAA perspective, they punished the person response with a show-cause.

But they made UGA vacate all those wins where they used ineligible players.

Also, in UNC's case the athlete's had their grades pre-determined via email to keep them eligible. Non athletes did not receive that benefit. Some of the papers turned in by these athletes were plagiarized, which is an NCAA vioiation.

Make no mistake, the NCAA did not WANT to punish UNC. They certainly could have.

Time to sic @therealDonaldTrump on them. Let him be good for something.

Saw this comment from a Deadspin reader and it captures my exact thoughts on the matter. I like watching college sports, but these days they are so unrelated to the mission of universities so as to be almost absurd.

Counterpoint: This isn’t an NCAA problem. The problem was with SACS. UNC admitted that it was providing credit for courses that were essentially valueless. SACS should have been all over their case. The NCAA isn’t in the position to say what is or isn’t a course with value. SACS is and should have given way more than a single year’s probation.

Counter-counter-point: It’s an issue with a ‘too big to fail’ mentality. Could you imagine if SACS stripped UNC’s accreditation? UNC is a major public research institution. The fall-out would have been incredible, you would have tens of thousands of people with non-accredited degrees that would have killed their chances at grad school and affected their employment prospects over what? A few dozen one-and-done basketball players? SACS couldn’t do that to UNC and the NCAA isn’t able to do it to them. The real problem is the intermingling of what is essentially a professional sports league (in nearly every way except player compensation) with an academic institution. These are two different things with two different goals and they need to be dis-entwined.

How does the NCAA now justify requiring a minimum GPA or any academic measure for athletes to participate in revenue sports?

Was going to say that Dan Wetzel referred to them in his column today as the University* of North Carolina.

I am of the opinion that the moderators institute a policy that any time "UNC" is entered into a post, it be modified to "U*NC." (In the same way [Redacted] shows up as "name redacted.")

This needs to happen!

How does the NCAA now justify requiring a minimum GPA or any academic measure for athletes to participate in revenue sports?

How do they justify their existence at all? We exist to make sure players aren't paid, because they're getting a free education instead, but actually we don't give a fuck if they get an education

Correct. And all this while the value of a BA is declining.

JHMD: You lost a day of Avatar. I am still waiting. Post the image and I will honor the bet. But your clock is running. October 13 - Nov 12. One full month.

Back