• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

NCAA and the Miami scandal

They just can't even investigate an obviously dirty program without tripping over their own dick

http://deadspin.com/5978386/ncaa-ha...y-on-its-payroll-suspends-miami-investigation

"The probe into the University of Miami booster scandal has been put on hold today, as president Mark Emmert announced a number of problems with the investigation. Most notably: Nevin Shapiro's attorney was paid by the NCAA to obtain documents that they weren't legally allowed to have. Improper conduct all around!"

Asked whether the NCAA should be investigating, Mitchell said, “Hell, yes.”

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges stopped short of suggesting that the degrees be voided. But the university “did not provide sufficient evidence that it had addressed the breaches of academic integrity” of degrees to students who took irregular African and Afro-American studies courses, wrote Belle Wheelan, SACS president, in a Jan. 15 letter to UNC-CH Chancellor Holden Thorp.

In an interview Tuesday, Wheelan said one solution would be for UNC-CH to bring back those graduates and provide them with free courses to take the place of the bogus ones.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/12/2675141/accrediting-agency-wants-clear.html

It would be funny to get a notice from Wake Forest or SACS telling me that I have to come back and take another class because that course I took from Wayne King where I didn't really have to do any actual work was, upon further review, bogus. Yeah, I have a feeling this is NOT going to happen at UNC.

I don't either, but it is fun watching their feet held to the fire. If UNC complies, then wouldn't they risk losing their banners? It would be nice if they were under a legitimate threat (like losing accreditation), and had to choose between that and their banners.

So now we have an accrediting agency executive saying there’s something illegitimate not only about some UNC courses, but also some UNC degrees.

And that raises a question about UNC athletes who took the courses in highly disproportionate numbers dating back to at least to 2001. If the African studies courses could not be considered legitimate in terms of a degree, how could they be legitimate in terms of athletic eligibility?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/14/2679201/fake-isnt-fair-as-accrediting.html#storylink=cpy

What will happen in June 2013? The SACSCOC Board of Trustees will consider the accreditation status of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill following review of a First Monitoring Report submitted by the institution addressing the standards cited above, and the report of a Special Committee that will visit the institution in spring 2013. The Board will have the following options: (1) accept the report with no additional monitoring; (2) request an additional Monitoring Report; (3) place the institution on a sanction, with or without the authorization of another Special Committee; and (4) remove the institution from membership with the Commission on Colleges. Commission staff will not speculate on what decision might be made by the Board of Trustees in June 2013.

http://sacscoc.org/2012 December Actions and Disclosure Statements/UNC-Chapel Hill.pdf

A Board of Governors panel that reviewed the Martin probe is appropriately skeptical. As UNC Board of Governors member Fred Eshelman of Wilmington said: “This stuff was propagated for 14 years basically by two people without additional collusion?”

http://www.news-record.com/opinion/722497-94/editorial-inconceivable

Added another board member, former state Supreme Court Chief Justice Burley Mitchell: “It was inconceivable that it was two people who did this. You have 172 fake classes. Forty-five percent of the students in there are athletes. That is way disproportionate for their number on campus, which was less than five percent who are athletes. Somehow they are being directed to those courses. There is, to my mind, a good deal of evidence that throughout this campus there were a large number of people, particularly in athletics, who knew that these courses did not amount to anything.”

Will anyone follow up on this?

It would be funny to get a notice from Wake Forest or SACS telling me that I have to come back and take another class because that course I took from Wayne King where I didn't really have to do any actual work was, upon further review, bogus. Yeah, I have a feeling this is NOT going to happen at UNC.

This is so unrealistic I can't even believe that it was brought up. There is no way anyone would ever show up back in college after they graduated (unless they wanted to film a Billy Madison sequal).

Holden is distancing himself from UNC as much as he can, which tells me he's ultimately afraid the hammer is really going to fall there. UNC begged him to stay when he announced his resignation...probably because they need a fall guy.

Pretty sure that's been in the works for a while.

Oh, I just read the article. I knew he was stepping down, but changing schools? Yea there's smoke there. That guy has had it pretty tough over the last couple years with threats against him and his family.

Found this on Inside Carolina and thought it was extremely ironic. It's on the thread about Miami's investigation.

"Miami isn't going to even get a slap on the wrist. The NCAA's demise has thankfully begun."

Back