• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

ManhattanHeel got up there and shilled for the school.

Basically. The bit about how a student-athlete should know better by Year 3 was especially bad, especially with respect to McCants. By his 3rd year, he was on his way out.

Loved the little blurb at the end from the NCAA. Katz said their statement was that they do not investigate alleged academic fraud, it's up to the University to report it. WTF? That's cray.

Basically. The bit about how a student-athlete should know better by Year 3 was especially bad, especially with respect to McCants. By his 3rd year, he was on his way out.

The only segment I saw was that one with the 2 profs. that comment was bad. Not only was it blame the athlete (year 3), but she also made it seem like it's OK that athletes worship their coach and don't know what's going on Year 1 & 2. I'll watch it again when I get home, but that was my takeaway from what she said.

Lead story on ESPN.com right now. Been all over the Bottom Line on ESPN all day too.

HANG IT!!!

FF_131914_s.jpg

Can we get some of those FB recruits back from UNC now? Or is this only about hoops?

I feel like UNC getting the death penalty would be bad for the ACC.... but I feel like it would help Wake recruiting... so I'm not sure what penalty I'd want for them.

So it's pretty much only the UNC administration and their batshit crazy fans who are still trying to claim innocence right? But the NCAA essentially did nothing. Hmmm.

Heavy Petter's Thread Describing Ongoing Cheating & Corruption at UNC-CH

I'm sure some of this is true. Tutors basically write papers at every school to some degree. It looks very bad for UNC.

That being said, I used to be friendly with Rashad and he was a little crazy then- certifiable now. This is really a desperate attempt to stay in the spotlight/ not go totally broke.

I'm sure some of this is true. Tutors basically write papers at every school to some degree. It looks very bad for UNC.

That being said, I used to be friendly with Rashad and he was a little crazy then- certifiable now. This is really a desperate attempt to stay in the spotlight/ not go totally broke.

A) doesn't mean it's not true...especially considering his story jives with a lot of other evidence. B) I actually thought McCants came off very well in that piece. He was much more coherent than I remember from his UNC days.

A) doesn't mean it's not true...especially considering his story jives with a lot of other evidence. B) I actually thought McCants came off very well in that piece. He was much more coherent than I remember from his UNC days.

Ooo I'm certainly not saying it's not true. In fact, I think it's 100 percent likely that tutors wrote papers or part of papers. I would imagine Roy had more of a don't ask don't tell policy on any of that. All of this is speculation on my part.

One thing thing that is not speculation on my part is this- Rashad is well spoken and intelligent- but he is the last person on that team- most of whom I hung out with quite a bit- whose word I would ever take seriously, especially at this point.

"McCants, who said it was common for basketball players to major in African-American Studies, said he assumed tutors writing papers for athletes was to be expected and he didn't question it while he attended UNC."

Amazing that if true this kind of stuff hasn't surfaced much earlier. Or has it?

am sure the Cheats will have a viable explanation to explain this away. rogue basketball player to go along with the rogue tutor, asst football coach, etc.

I posted this in the chat thread a few weeks ago but a gal I work out with played softball at Carolina. She was put into Dr. Nyang'oro's class and could not understand what he was saying. She thought she wasn't going to do well so she dropped it. Then all this came out and she realized they were just trying to give her an easy A.

I mean yeah McCants is sort of whacked but if they reviewed his transcript and it says he failed a bunch of classes other than Af-Am where he made straight As that pretty much tells the story.

This happens everywhere.

My favorite course for spring sport athletes is Philosophy of Coaching (Phys Ed/PED of course).

Sixteen players from North Carolina's 2005 national championship team issued the following statement Friday to The Associated Press responding to former teammate Rashad McCants' allegations of academic misconduct:

"We are proud of our accomplishments both on and off the floor at UNC. With conviction, each one of us is proud to say that we attended class and did our own academic work. We want to thank our advisers and counselors who supported us, while also maintaining the integrity of the institution. We also want to make it clear that Coach Williams and his staff operated with the highest level of ethics and integrity within their respective roles. We are forever grateful for the lessons we learned on the court, in the classroom and during our time in Chapel Hill.

"In light of the comments made by Rashad on ESPN Outside the Lines, we want to state that our personal academic experiences are not consistent with Rashad's claims. We know that Coach Williams did not have any knowledge of any academic impropriety, and further that Coach Williams would not have tried to manipulate a player's schedule. Rashad will always be our teammate and we wish him well on all of his future endeavors."

Signed by:

Charlie Everett
Raymond Felton
Brooks Foster
Damion Grant
Jesse Holley
C.J. Hooker
Jackie Manuel (AFAM major)
Sean May (AFAM major)
Wes Miller
David Noel(AFAM major)
Byron Sanders
Melvin Scott (AFAM major)
Reyshawn Terry (AFAM major)
Quentin Thomas (AFAM major)
Jawad Williams (AFAM major)
Marvin Williams (AFAM major)

McCants was an outsider on that team. Unless there is documentary evidence I wouldn't try to build a case on his word.

Back