• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hulk Hogan wins $115 million, Gawker faces ruin!

Which celebrity of the same sex would you have sex with, have it taped and "stolen," have it released to the world, and then split the settlement money with them?

Didn't Gawker also post a picture of Justin Verlander's ass obtained from the same hack that released JLaw's pics? There is definitely a link titles "Justin Verlander And His Butt Appear In Celebrity Nude Pic Flood [NSFW]" which I did not click for various reasons, but that seems problematic.

I thought they had to put 50 million in escrow to appeal.

They may potentially have to post a bond, yes. But that article said they would have to "hand over" the damages as if Hogan gets his money now. Not true.

http://www.eonline.com/news/750146/...ow-much-of-the-115-million-he-ll-probably-get

"So with all that said, we're looking at roughly $46 million in attorney fees, another $2 million in litigation fees, and assuming the remainder $67 million is taxable (which means half is getting cut), Hogan is left with—drum roll, please—$30-40 million. And yes, that is still a chunk of change, but definitely not $115 million."

""In this case, Gawker is going to appeal because Hulk doesn't want to appeal it, he's thrilled he got more than he was asking for—so, Gawker is going to appeal and they will have to put up a bond for $50 million, in case they lose and that money is there for Bollea.""

This probably didn't help either:

"AJ Daulerio testifies at trial over Hulk Hogan tape, and says only case where a celebrity sex tape would not be newsworthy is if it was of a child under age four."

And I didn't know this:

" I'm shocked at the $115 million dollar compensatory verdict for showing a video for nine seconds."

I agree overall that this whole Hogan thing was just a total shitfest. Of all the websites that Gawker has its flagship site is probably the worst of them. Deadspin, Kotaku, and Gizmodo are all great sites. Jezebel is an ok site...they are mostly just celeb gossip.

Last edited:
Which celebrity of the same sex would you have sex with, have it taped and "stolen," have it released to the world, and then split the settlement money with them?

For $140 Million ? Pretty much any of them.

I agree overall that this whole Hogan thing was just a total shitfest. Of all the websites that Gawker has its flagship site is probably the worst of them. Deadspin, Kotaku, and Gizmodo are all great sites. Jezebel is an ok site...they are mostly just celeb gossip. The above picture is a bit misleading since the Jezebel.com people have their own standards and editors separate from the shitshow on Gawker.com.

lolno

I love Deadspin, Kotaku, Gizmodo, and io9, but no, Jezebel is not "an ok site". They are the fucking worst. Though I do like Jia Tolentino's stuff from time to time.

lolno

I love Deadspin, Kotaku, Gizmodo, and io9, but no, Jezebel is not "an ok site". They are the fucking worst. Though I do like Jia Tolentino's stuff from time to time.

Jia and Anna Merlan (though she posts a lot of the Slot as well) are the reasons why it got an ok from me...which bumped it up slightly from just being bad. Otherwise almost everything they post on Jezebel is drivel.

someday I'm gonna do a "gawker network writers, ranked" post and then pour one out for greg howard and leslie horn

I think my least favorite person that works on any Gawker media site is Sam Biddle.

He's the only one whose name I know and pretty sure he's the most hated. I don't particularly care for him because of what he said about dogs, others don't like his "bring back bullying" comment. Anyway, when this broke lots of people were giving him shit on twitter.

He's the only one whose name I know and pretty sure he's the most hated. I don't particularly care for him because of what he said about dogs, others don't like his "bring back bullying" comment. Anyway, when this broke lots of people were giving him shit on twitter.

He wrote an article after Ellen Pao was ousted from Reddit saying that Reddit couldn't be saved and that it was no better than 4chan. To illustrate his argument he used screenshots of nasty comments about Ellen Pao that had negative or zero karma and basically argued that the people that wrote these comments were the core of the Reddit community.

Then in the comments for his article someone said this:
Also, the fact that all of the comments you pictured have 0 or negative karma kinda shows that they are not well received by the Reddit Community.

To which Biddle replied:
I found them at the time without having to dig, I don’t care what “well received by the Reddit Community” means.

He fucking admits that he has no clue when it came to the topic on which he is writing.

Last edited:
Gawker's hit job on Tim Geithner's brother wasn't a shining moment either unless they are good with blackmail.

My problem with Gawker is they take the journalistic idea of "newsworthiness" and turn it into a license to fuck up lives for clicks. Like, despite the high horse they ride all the time, their actions demonstrate that they don't give a shit about ethics as long as their editors deem something "newsworthy."

The legal system may care about whether something is newsworthy, sure. Newsworthiness might shield you from liability. But Gawker--nor anyone else, even in other industries--should not conflate legality with morality. We're a shitty society if people aspire to follow laws and nothing more.

Forbes says Peter Thiel has been bankrolling the Hogan lawsuit and some others. He wants to bring Gawker down.

Florida lawyers, what amount does Gawker have to post as bond to supersede the judgment?

Back