• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Humanity

Apparently, when the media hysterisizes a situation, people's ability to think clearly or to devise effective long term rational solutions is inhibited. And that certainly seems to be the situation in this case.

John Oliver's take:

Is it possible that you're just getting the slanted Hungarian take?

The PC principal crowd already most concerned about softening the language and not calling these people anything offensive to them is too fucking much. Migrants, refugees, WGAF? They need a roof, clean water and a hot meal for their children. Give them that and worry about what people are calling them later.

Watching the 60 Minutes interview of Putin from Sunday, coupled with both Putin and Obama's speeches at the UN, shows two clearly different philosophies on how to solve the greater problem of re-stabilizing the region.

Putin is of course the pragmatist to Obama's idealist. In Syria, Putin knows full well what a POS Assad is, but realizes that in this point in time, return of control to the existing government to power has the best chance to re-stabilize the country, and Assad can always be dealt with later. Obama can't get the pictures of the dead kids killed by Assad's nerve gas out of his head, and therefore cannot wrap his mind around any plan that would keep Assad in power, although he doesnt and hasn't had any clear alternative solution.

At this point, Russia seems more willing to put more skin in the game, so it appears that they will get the chance to try their solution. Something desperately needs to be done at this point, so I say let the Russians go in and fix it if they can.

Is it possible that you're just getting the slanted Hungarian take?

Hardly. There are a lot of different takes on this in the Hungarian media, far more informative and nuanced than in the often rather simplistic ideologically driven English and German press. I have tried to get information from many different sources, and I passed by Keleti RR Station quite frequently during the height of the crisis here in Budapest. (In fact, I still go by there all the time.) So, you might say I had both an eyewitness view and plenty of varied sources for obtaining information in several languages. The German and English/American press told a distorted tale that often showed only carefully selected aspects, ignoring much else, especially anything that might contradict their party line. And sometimes they simply uncritically reported bald-faced lies, if these fabrications fit their version.

Russia is willing to do what will get Russia more influence and power. /thread

Vlad the Invader is a shrewd opportunist. He's trying to use Syria to get greater acceptance for his position in Ukraine. And he just might succeed.

Russia is willing to do what will get Russia more influence and power. /thread

Vlad the Invader is a shrewd opportunist. He's trying to use Syria to get greater acceptance for his position in Ukraine. And he just might succeed.

Ukraine is over. No one is fighting anymore. The two strategies are connected but not in that way. The common thread though is Russia's biggest strategic liability: the lack of warm water sea bases. When the Ukraine destabilized, Russia moved to protect Sevastopol.

Stabilizing Syria will likely yield a permanent Russian presence in Syria's Mediterranean port of Tartus, where they have already set up shop. If they can end a crises diplacing hundreds of thousands and causing tens of thousands of deaths and rising, is it worth it to let them have a medd seaport? Probably.

It doesn't matter since it's clear we aren't going to do anything about it.

[video]http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=lvYjcyeDoXG-OAM-rfGk3GS5O3_1lsGS&pbid=ab4de78bde16461da21878ea7748d33b[/video]

Video won't post

CSuiiiIWwAAODDl.jpg:large

Bump

I don't know any Polish but the account the picture comes from says it's "Stand in Defense of Christianity"

Not sure how all these migrants/terrorists (I think the occupants of "USS ISIS" are supposed to be the latter) got their hands on vessels with USS names.

The existence of the internet, which allows for the maintenance of contact with home much easier and cheaper, makes this migration different from previous ones and may paradoxically make acculturation into the western world much more difficult and time consuming, especially if the hosts are not necessarily too enthusiastic about accommodating the new arrivals.

muslims roundly defeated the christians in the crusades; not sure why they'd use it as a scare tactic. that's like us using british redcoats to scare our kids

Back