• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hurricane Matthew

Based on what I've heard so far, the chances of it turning out to sea are pretty small. The best local hurricane news can usually be found on WPDE's website (I live in Myrtle Beach). They're the least hysterical of the news outlets down here.

Ed is the best, even if he is a wuffy.

Yeah, football and all that, but to be serious for a moment:

The eye of Hurricane Matthew just passed over western Haiti, including where I spent a large part of last summer living and doing research, the Grand'Anse Province. I've heard some news articles talking about the danger of places on the southern coast, such as Les Cayes, and I assume the same can be said for Jeremie, the town I lived next to. Our research was predominantly up in the mountains, where they're expecting up to 40 inches of rain. I can't imagine most of the hand-made homes of the families I visited surviving that kind of thing.

Anyway, I haven't heard from anyone down there yet. I'm still working with a doctor and nurse who live on the north coast and our community liaison, health clinic employees, and all the patients live up in the mountains. Hopefully it's just power outages. You get the gist of the fucked up relief response after the earthquake a couple years ago and that was in the capital city, Port-au-Prince. These guys are 8 hours to the west and there's no infrastructure to help them. Just please keep everyone in mind.

Not sure if it's a photoshop, but this is pretty scary.

14563353_1122397947813990_2789211383709303146_n.jpg

The problem for Haiti besides the usual infrastructure issues is it was finally somewhat back on track from the earthquake. Most likely all the water sanitation efforts to curb cholera are now destroyed and its back to square one. That place can't catch a break.

Evacuating to the Triad. Might as well have an excuse to watch some college football. Don't think it'll be too bad up there.

It's football, not pussball. A little wind and rain will make our run game unstoppable!

I survived HUGO this seems like a millennial hurricane btw

I survived Hugo as a stoned college junior trying to camp out for Dead tickets at Hayes Jewelers in Lexington, NC. That's where the ticketmaster location was back before they really had ticketmaster.

This one will have to pick up a little more juice to be as strong as Hugo. Not much though.

I hope it's not as strong as Hugo! Especially if it hits the same area!

I survived Hugo as a stoned college junior trying to camp out for Dead tickets at Hayes Jewelers in Lexington, NC. That's where the ticketmaster location was back before they really had ticketmaster.

You were a junior in college in 1989? Holy shit.

I moved to Winston Salem right before my 3rd grade year right after Hugo came through. Thanks for making me feel young, Biff!

I survived HUGO this seems like a millennial hurricane btw

Big deal! I survived it, and I was a baby. Not so big now huh? We're just two dudes who were pooping their pants who survived Hugo. Big Whoop.

Back