• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hyperloop - SF to LA in 30 minutes

I really support Mosk's SpaceX. I just don't see the value in saving 30-40 minutes.

I didn't see where the terminals would be.

Here's a real world problem. Iapp and palma go out drinking after work. They and a couple of buddies get wasted and get on the tube. As they pull out, one of them pukes. As they arrive in SF, another pukes.

The same thing that happens when someone pukes in a cab or a train or a plane.

Someone cleans it up.

Even at 22.5 seconds, you are talking about close to 20,000 feet (almost four miles) to stop. If they are off even minimally. the five miles between pods will come into play.

Using their numbers, they don't have much margin for error.

Even if something happens to Pod 1, it will still keep moving for quite some distance while slowing down and coming to a stop due to something called physics. It won't just immediately stop in place on a dime. Therefore, even if the pod behind it took over 4 miles to stop, it still wouldn't even be close to the pod in front of it, since the other pod kept moving as it slowed down and stopped as well.

Math: how does it work?

Surprised you wouldn't get some investor in Vegas doing an LA to Vegas one first.

Just build the Vegas hyperloop station at the monorail terminus and call it a day.

I think we should ask the people of Ogdenville, North Haverbrook, and Brockway what they think of this idea.

Already covered the need for housekeeping when talking about ppl having the sects in the tubes. Move on rj.

I'd pay this musk dude about a billion dollars to spacex all you tube gurgling nerds to fucking outer space, thats for sure

Even if something happens to Pod 1, it will still keep moving for quite some distance while slowing down and coming to a stop due to something called physics. It won't just immediately stop in place on a dime. Therefore, even if the pod behind it took over 4 miles to stop, it still wouldn't even be close to the pod in front of it, since the other pod kept moving as it slowed down and stopped as well.

Math: how does it work?

I know Wake isn't a technical school...but damn.

why not build this thing for shipping purposes and iron out the details for human travel

Shipping purposes. Not shitting purposes.

But seriously, it would have to be light freight.

Shipping purposes. Not shitting purposes.

But seriously, it would have to be light freight.

i mean the thing was showing 3-4 people per pod, that's close to 800 up to 1000 lbs; you could run them closer together b/c less human risk

Probably not that much weight. They could run them closer together without risk. That's a good point. I could imagine a food freighting system that would reduce the energy cost of refrigerated trucks.

why not build this thing for shipping purposes and iron out the details for human travel

His white paper spells out options for both humans and cargo/human hybrid setup that is mostly intended to carry a person and their car between cities but could also be used for freight. That said, I doubt there's as much need for a super high speed freight line between cities. The difference between 30 minutes in a pod and a day in a truck or on a normal train is not a big deal for most cargo. It's the millions of people that travel between LA and SF that make this something worth considering for human travel.

Last edited:
Probably not that much weight. They could run them closer together without risk.

This limit as to how close the pods can run is more a function of power rather than safety from what I recall.

i feel this has more application for cargo than passenger

At least between major commercial distribution hubs, and if it gets 18 wheelers off the highway, I'm all for it. Hell you could build one straight down the median of 95 from Jacksonville to Miami.

At least between major commercial distribution hubs, and if it gets 18 wheelers off the highway, I'm all for it. Hell you could build one straight down the median of 95 from Jacksonville to Miami.

Agreed. All you need is a few hubs.

Back