• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hypothetical Seed Discussion (#8/#9 vs. #10 seed) (NWT)

yeah, he changed his mind on who he thinks will win the MAAC (unless Pitino can find a nice steakhouse for Iona)

So Iona out, St. Peter's in (auto)

Wake Forest out, Wyoming in (at-large)

Michigan at 17-14 is out, and is not going to get in over 23-9 Wake.

ETA: UNC beat the shit out of this Michigan team. That should help us.

ok. I haven't paid attention to the autobids, but what would their getting in have to do with pushing us out?
Good question actually. Iona was the 1 seed and lost to #9 Rider.

Unless Iona gets an at large, which doesn't sound like, not sure why it's not a 1:1 switch. Maybe just general commentary about the changing bracket, i.e. not St Peters in because Wake drops out.

I mean a team having a 1.5% win probability means they win the about 1 out of ~70 of those games. I don't think teams overcome 17 point deficits against a relatively evenly matched team (such as IU and Michigan) more often than 1 out of ~70 times. If anything, my gut reaction tells me a 98.5% chance is underselling what Michigan's odds were to win that game.

Yeah I just think it happens more often than that, especially in a sport that is comprised of runs.

Good question actually. Iona was the 1 seed and lost to #9 Rider.

Unless Iona gets an at large, which doesn't sound like, not sure why it's not a 1:1 switch. Maybe just general commentary about the changing bracket, i.e. not St Peters in because Wake drops out.

it is a 1:1

he mentioned 2 teams out and 2 teams in

yeah, he changed his mind on who he thinks will win the MAAC (unless Pitino can find a nice steakhouse for Iona)

So Iona out, St. Peter's in (auto)

Wake Forest out, Wyoming in (at-large)

Hope UNLV defend their home court today. That should dead any silly Wyoming chatter.

Yeah I just think it happens more often than that, especially in a sport that is comprised of runs.

Do you really? I feel like anytime a team blows the equivalent of a 17 point lead with 11 minutes to go against an evenly matched team it's pretty newsworthy, suggesting it doesn't happen all that often.

It's a different case entirely if a team like Syracuse had that lead over a team like Duke, and I'd imagine ESPN would have given Cuse less than a 98.5% chance of winning.

Do you really? I feel like anytime a team blows the equivalent of a 17 point lead with 11 minutes to go against an evenly matched team it's pretty newsworthy, suggesting it doesn't happen all that often.

It's a different case entirely if a team like Syracuse had that lead over a team like Duke, and I'd imagine ESPN would have given Cuse less than a 98.5% chance of winning.

I think ten minutes to go in a game of two evenly matched teams is too soon to call a 98% chance of victory in the era of three pointers. College players lose focus, crazy stuff happens, shots start to drop, a star player cramps up (ouch), momentum shifts, crowds get into it, etc. I feel like we’ve all seen it a bunch. 17 points is not insurmountable with that much time, as Deacon fans well know. I’m sure 85-90% is more reasonable but 98.5% might as well be 100%, and there are far too many variables to call it that confidently. Just my opinion.

no need to mention espns win probability for TAMU with a minute left. :)

but 98.5% might as well be 100%

Just my opinion.

I mean, your opinion is equating something that happens 1 out of 70 times (98.5% win odds) to something that happens literally never, which is a bad understanding of how stats works.

Your opinion is also claiming that Michigan would blow a 17 point lead 1 out of 8 times (85-90% win odds) which is way way more than that actually happens.

And my point is it’s wrong much more than that when it displays those extremes.

My point is that you’re thinking about the extremes not the other 98 or 99 run of the mill double digit coast to coast wins that don’t get much attention.

Last edited:
Not sure that Wake deserves to be in, but I know with absolute certainty that Michigan does not. Fuck Michigan and Howard.

Phlandrous Fleming with the assist, 3-point play, block, tough contested shot, all in succession trying to keep Florida in it

I think the winner of aTm - UF needs to beat Auburn, at least

All the other P6 conferences, you can under .500 and no worries. Wake goes 13-7 and may get shipped back home. Is there a 2000 NIT banner in the Joel?

Back